Clearing blocked ears.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone a remedy for blocked ears when you have a cold? I'm having trouble hearing on the left hand side which is getting on my nerves. If it was ear wax I'd just get some Hydrogen Peroxide from the chemist but it seems to be inside my eardrum.

Someone suggested heating chopped onion and then wrapping it in paper towel and applying it to the ear, but before I spend tomorrow smelling like a Kebab I want to see if anyone can vouch for its effectiveness (and how it is supposed to work, should I allow liquid to drip into the ear or vapour?)

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Seek medical advice if it seems to be behind the waxy part. I didn't now that side's hearing is 30dB down and my balance is no long 100%

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
With a cold I just try and pop them like you do on an aeroplane.
I'd be a bit careful with that ... I used to get a lift to work with a former RAF Search & Rescue helicopter pilot. He was once laid up in bed suffering with a heavy cold when he was scrambled to fly an emergency mission. He ended up with a perforated ear drum which resulted in him being pretty much deaf in that ear from then on.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
The blockage probably isn't on the outside so dropping anything into the ear will not make any difference. Inflammation in the throat blocks the Eustachian tube which connects the back of the throat with the middle ear, allowing air pressure on either side of the eardrum to equalise. Air on the inside then gets absorbed and the eardrum gets 'splinted' in place by external pressure. Decongestants may help relieve the blockage.

Eustachian-Tube-Dysfunction.jpg

Slioch

Guru
I had a blocked ear last year due to a build up of wax. The official advice from my GP was to dribble extra virgin olive oil into the ear daily, and lie flat for 10 mins to allow it to penetrate and soften the wax. After a couple of weeks of this they hosed my ear out using a mini pressure washer thingy, and all was good.

BUT, if your problem is linked to you having a cold, then a build up of wax may not be the cause, and you should seek proper medical advice and not rely on a bunch of random lunatics on a cycling forum to sort out your health problems :okay:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
As the good doctor on Jimmy Young's show used to say, the only thing you should put in your ear is your own elbow.

I'm in agreement with the others who advise seeking medical advice. Your pharmacist can be very helpful in this regard.

I had a blocked ear last year due to a build up of wax. The official advice from my GP was to dribble extra virgin olive oil into the ear daily, and lie flat for 10 mins to allow it to penetrate and soften the wax. After a couple of weeks of this they hosed my ear out using a mini pressure washer thingy, and all was good.

I have issues every few years with ear wax. I seem to remember that on my last visit to the docs to ask for syringing I was cautioned, before giving them the go-ahead for this, that it was not a risk free procedure, and that there was a small chance that it could cause permanent damage.
Does this mean anything to anyone?
I was alarmed after the procedure that I had gone deaf but after a couple of days the water cleared and all was well- hearing improved.

At least that mini pressure washer thing is an advance on what was used on me as a kid. A large metal syringe filled with hot water - blasted at force into my ear. A system I imagine they used in victorian times. That felt quite painful and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that could cause permanent damage. Fortunately for me it always worked.

Found this on the NHS site.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/earwax-build-up/

alarmed to see this lower down that page.

@@@

Not all GP practices remove earwax

Some can:

• flush the wax out with water (ear irrigation)
  • suck the wax out (microsuction)
These treatments are usually painless. You might have to pay to have them done privately.

@@@@

You might have to go private to get your ears unblocked?

What the hell have we come to?

Am sure my childhood Lancashire GP would be aghast.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the mods for not posting in the right section might I suggest that a certain person currently serving time at her Majesties pleasure for perjury might benefit from some the remedies suggested here. :whistle:

Slioch

Guru
I have issues every few years with ear wax. I seem to remember that on my last visit to the docs to ask for syringing I was cautioned, before giving them the go-ahead for this, that it was not a risk free procedure, and that there was a small chance that it could cause permanent damage.
Does this mean anything to anyone?

I was given a similar warning, although it was a very low-key one. I would assume the risks are very low and they are just covering their backs.
The new pressure washer thingy, as you say, is a huge improvement over the old method. Just a wee tickling sensation and totally pain free.

Top Bottom