(Clearly Un)Notable Wheel Differences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
There's a significant difference between my full carbon 45mm section wheels and the other 2 wheelsets I run, so will leave those out of the equation.

My other sets are Campag Zonda's and Fulcrum Quattro LG's. Until tonight, after cleaning and regreasing the Zonda's last week, I wouldn't have thought there would be a lot of difference. Quattro's are quite new, so able to compare fairly now.

A ride around the Gower, soon explained everything. The Zonda's were Quicker off the mark and when accelerating, and faster on the climbs, but could not retain the same top end speed as the Quattro's do. They are also a lot stiffer, so feel the umps, but corner like on rails. I enjoy riding both, but was amazed at how noticeably different they are, even at this end of the market.

Has anyone else experienced the same? I am interested as read many a comment that there isn't any difference at this level and now I disagree.

S-Express

I've ridden Quattros and for the price, they are an excellent value wheelset, far better than the price would suggest. Not ridden Zondas so cannot compare. How are you quantifying the differences you say you can detect in things like acceleration, climbing, top speed, etc?

huwsparky

Über Member
I'll have to say I'm at the opposite end. I have 3 sets of wheels. Standard giant jobbies, Shimano 6800 and a relatively high end set of mavics. I struggle to tell the difference between them in terms of performance but I'll have to admit that they do each feel slightly different when riding.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Interesting read as I was looking at some Zonda C17 ..
I had a thread up last week on them , no bites as yet ..
You have any photos of them fitted to your bike ?
And perhaps bit more in depth review to them as I'd really appreciate reviews on them ..
Cheers ..

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Was a jolly tonight, with company, so didn't really study the speed, etc @S-Express but just talking in terms of feel when riding a route I have done many a time before.

Zonda's feel stiffer, more responsive, and steered quicker.

Quattro's are slower to steer and accelerate, but definitely able to go faster for the same perceived effort once they are up to speed.

I like both sets, in fairness, so will be using both when I take the carbon rims off the other bike this weekend.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I'll have to say I'm at the opposite end. I have 3 sets of wheels. Standard giant jobbies, Shimano 6800 and a relatively high end set of mavics. I struggle to tell the difference between them in terms of performance but I'll have to admit that they do each feel slightly different when riding.
That's perhaps what I am experiencing, the difference in feel, as mentioned above. Will have to do some speed comparisons when out solo.

Nice wheels btw.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Interesting read as I was looking at some Zonda C17 ..
I had a thread up last week on them , no bites as yet ..
You have any photos of them fitted to your bike ?
And perhaps bit more in depth review to them as I'd really appreciate reviews on them ..
Cheers ..
Not seen your post. Link please?

As far as the Zonda's are concerned, they are a fantastic set of wheels. Only took them off, as they need servicing and I had the Quattro's with my new bike and wanted to try them out after sticking my carbon rims on that.

Anyway, as described above really, stiff, pretty light, handle well and corner quickly, as well as responsive on the climbs.

Do a search on here and you will find lots of posts and discussion.

huwsparky

Über Member
That's perhaps what I am experiencing, the difference in feel, as mentioned above. Will have to do some speed comparisons when out solo.

Nice wheels btw.
It'll be very difficult to accurately measure a wheels performance. For example, say if you rode a set route at a set power and recorded a time. Even if you were to go back and do exactly the same on a different wheelset it would be almost impossible to compare accurately due to small changes in wind speed/direction, slight difference in tyre pressure, not riding over the exact same piece of tarmac etc... All these little things would make a difference and make any test not very accurate!

To be honest, I usually take these types of reviews with a pinch of salt but it would be interesting to hear your findings. I bet the most extensive wheels you have will be the fastest! ;)

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I agree @huwsparky. A power meter would certainly help for that sort of comparison.

I am not comparing to my FFWD's. Would be unfair, as completely different.

Just commenting on my findings between 2 very similarly priced wheelsets, albeit of different style.

I know where you're coming from though. :smile:

lazyfatgit

I ran Zonda's for over a year, but was reluctant to comment as they were C15 rims, not the newer, wider version, and rim brake, not disc.

I had quicker, deeper, more expensive wheels as well as Shimano RS20 which came on the bike. IMHO they were the best value/performance at the price I paid at the time, for my weight. Easily as good as Mavic kysirium at nearly double the price. The C15 are probably a bit stiff if you're lighter and looking for comfort. The C17 with a 28 may give a plusher ride.

When my current disc Czero's need replaced or I want a second set of wheels with different rubber, I'll most likely buy Zonda again.

Was a jolly tonight, with company, so didn't really study the speed, etc @S-Express but just talking in terms of feel when riding a route I have done many a time before.

Zonda's feel stiffer, more responsive, and steered quicker.

Quattro's are slower to steer and accelerate, but definitely able to go faster for the same perceived effort once they are up to speed.

I like both sets, in fairness, so will be using both when I take the carbon rims off the other bike this weekend.
I'm afraid you are bullshitting yourself and I would imagine quite a few gullible others too.

Stiffness. The amount of deflection in a wheel is in the order of 0.05mm. That's approximately the thickness of a piece of printer paper. Let's say the one wheel is twice as stiff as the other wheel. It means you can feel, through the frame, deflection of 0.1mm. Dream on. I don't know how you managed to compare umps from wheel to wheel.

Responsive: What does that even mean? Can you define it in any way?

Steered quicker. Steering on a bicycle is initiated by lean and thereafter by torque through the steerer. On the same bike, this will be, well, the same. unlike cars which have a slip angle in the tyre, bicycles and motorcycles don't, so I don't know where the extra steering speed comes from. As for cornering on rails, that's just magazine speak. Unless you can define it, it is nonsense.

Go for a ride, take photos and drink a beer.

Top Bottom