Clicking noise, appears to be coming from headset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

My CAAD9 has developed an unusual clicking noise, as far as I can tell it must be the fork/headset as it's when I go over rough ground or maybe a small pot hole I get a click. When I turn the handlebars this click seems to appear too, I have ruled out the cables.

I'd take the fork out and re do it all but I phoned the owner of the shop I bought it from and said I should not do it, I might damage the bearings or something, are they easy to damage? I'd just go take it to him but it's another 2 weeks until it is possible as I'm like 70 miles away atm!

Would it be safe for me to do it?

Thanks
Will.

redddraggon

Blondie
willhub said:
Would it be safe for me to do it?

It probably wouldn't be safe for you to do it. Better wait until you can get the LBS to do it.

I am in MCR at the moment, Haxby cycles is where I bought it from.

Due to not been able to go for 2 weeks which would mean 2 weeks with no bike due to not having my winter bike yet, I have took the fork off.

TBH it looks pretty simple and all I have to make sure if the bearings are in snug and the preload cap is done properly.

I have some questions though.

Should the carbon steerer be greased?
Should the bearings be covered in grease thats a rust brown colour

I cant think where the clicking might be coming from, I put my Aksium wheel on and it was still there, it must be the front as the clicking is so distinct even when I'm not moving.

Once I have got it back together, if clicking is still there I think I might remove front mech and rear mech cables aswell as the rear break cable to make it easier to sort out when I am removing the fork again if I have to.

willhub said:
Should the bearings be covered in grease thats a rust brown colour

I cant think where the clicking might be coming from,

That is it there is no grease in your bearings. Ok what you need to do is take out the bearings spray them with WD40, GT85... to get ALL the S**T out and do the same with the cups (All the bits that the bearing sit in) Then dry them off and then grease it all as you are putting it back together.

As you are cleaning the bits that the bearings sit on feel for any dips if there is you will need a now head set. If not Job done

Take pic's as you go so you can show Haxby cycles what was wrong with it if the headset is dead so (I hope they will swoop it out for you)

But doing what I have said will keep it going until you get back home.

Well before I seen this post I managed to put it all back together fine, it must be the headset, I was going down this little hill sort of thing and everytime I breaked heavilly there was this click.

Before I take it apart again to regrease the bearings I am going to tighten the bearking preload slightly more and check the 4 screws fastening the handlebars to the stem.

OH......MY......GOD....

Well I cant be 100% sure yet, but I think it is my seat!!!!, I was bobbing up and down on the saddle and guess what? click...click...click.

So all the redoing the headset, taking the handlebars off the steam, greasing it, lubing the 4 bolts with copper grease... for nothing...

Copper grease is bad for moving parts, but since bolts are not moving parts in the sense they are not constantly moving it's ok, and it's certainly made screwing the bolts in and out much smoother and easier.

I might do the bearings but tbh it did seem like there was quite abit of grease on despite the color, I've only had the bike 4 weeks.

willhub said:
Copper grease is bad for moving parts, but since bolts are not moving parts in the sense they are not constantly moving it's ok, and it's certainly made screwing the bolts in and out much smoother and easier.

I might do the bearings but tbh it did seem like there was quite abit of grease on despite the color, I've only had the bike 4 weeks.

:biggrin::ohmy::ohmy:

OK!!

Top Bottom