Clicking noise around the front mech, under load, not the gears - SOLVED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harrison_888

Regular
This is a post to supply a possible solution if you encounter a (very annoying) clicking noise appearing to emanate from directly beneath you. If you find this before you start to fault find it might save you a weekends worth of pain.

The annoying thing about this little issue was that I could only hear it whilst sat on the bike and going above 16ish mph. Not something I could replicate with the bike on the mount.

I tightened and greased fixings in the front mech. I re-indexed the gears (even though they were spot on to start with) and then set about tightening and re-greasing every thing else.

I finally found that the issue was a loose/dry saddle bolt (no where near where the noise appeared to be coming from) and that appears to have solved the problem.

If it starts up again I'll probably cry and throw the bike in the river

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This is a post to supply a possible solution if you encounter a (very annoying) clicking noise appearing to emanate from directly beneath you. If you find this before you start to fault find it might save you a weekends worth of pain.

The annoying thing about this little issue was that I could only hear it whilst sat on the bike and going above 16ish mph. Not something I could replicate with the bike on the mount.

I tightened and greased fixings in the front mech. I re-indexed the gears (even though they were spot on to start with) and then set about tightening and re-greasing every thing else.

I finally found that the issue was a loose/dry saddle bolt (no where near where the noise appeared to be coming from) and that appears to have solved the problem.

If it starts up again I'll probably cry and throw the bike in the river

Been there, done that. Clicks and groans always sound like they are coming from the BB but mostly are not.

OP
OP
harrison_888

harrison_888

Regular
I once eventually found that an odd noise was coming from a strap/zip pull on a bag touching the rack.

Somewhere there's probably a vid of someone recreating that scene from The Conversation with a bike - vid taken so that they could put it all back together.

caution - film spoiler.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEo7FGkmRx0

I too thought it was something rattling against something else. Even removed the sensor for an old cycle computer I had (should've done this ages ago anyway - excess weight :wacko:)
Also replaced my pump holder as that was old.
If nothing else, the issue caused me to replace some stuff that had been bugging me anyway.

Top Bottom