Clicking noise - help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - last Friday whilst riding the bike I had a chain jam whilst powering away from some lights. On another leg of the commute I then noticed that the gears seemed to be jumping (well it felt like that anyway).

Had the bike up on the stand over the weekend, have checked the front and rear mechs for damage and as far as I can see there isn't any. Checked all the gear sprockets for damage. Again none I can see. Checked the chain for damage - again nothing. I also degreased the chain and the gears, re-lubed and re-calibrarated the gear shift.

The gears now no longer seem feel like they'll shift - however when I put a lot of power through the pedals I occassionally get a clicking noise along with a feel of slight travel through the pedals. The click isn't regular enough to suggest a pattern (such as the same link on a chain rotation, same point on a pedal turn).

Has anyone else any ideas of what may be wrong? At the moment I'm wondering whether to replace the chain.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Could be a bent Mech Hanger?

Mine was a damaged Jocky wheel and a slight bend in the Jockey wheel cage.

GilesM

Legendary Member
No- I have my limit screws set to prevent that - I mean that the chain caught somewhere while travelling. It felt like the back end - so I assumed it caught somewhere in the rear mech.

Ok, it sounds like the rear mech cage may be damaged then, it could be twisted, (no longer parrellel with the chain) or as mentiond above, the hannger is bent, but this usually needs a bit of force, like something solid hitting it. Have you checked for a stiff link in th chain, one link that is not bending and straightening correctly.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Ok, it sounds like the rear mech cage may be damaged then, it could be twisted, (no longer parrellel with the chain) or as mentiond above, the hannger is bent, but this usually needs a bit of force, like something solid hitting it. Have you checked for a stiff link in th chain, one link that is not bending and straightening correctly.
Hope it's a chain link - can then unstiffen it and carry on riding to work whilst i order a new one (chain that is)! Would have expected a stiff link to generate a recognisable pattern of clicks though (or am I wrong in this assumption?). At the moment the clicks are only really noticeable when I put on the power (i.e. going up hill).

When I corrected the rear mech indexing the other night I lined up the chain in the rear mech with the 3rd smallest cog on the cassette. It looked straight (visually). Will put a steel rule against it tonight to check for bends in the hanger and cage.

subaqua

What’s the point
wifes bike chain had a sticky link was a random click but more noticed when under tension( i assume it was jumping) . new chain sorted it easily

Tim Hall

A stiff link won't be matched to a particular pedal position, as the chain position will vary with the gear selected.

If it is a stiff link it can often be fixed by bending sideways between fingers and thumbs, ie across the plane of travel. No needto shell out for a new chain.

subaqua

What’s the point
A stiff link won't be matched to a particular pedal position, as the chain position will vary with the gear selected.

If it is a stiff link it can often be fixed by bending sideways between fingers and thumbs, ie across the plane of travel. No needto shell out for a new chain.

fail. a new chain is an excuse to go to the LBS and spend money you didn't realise you have on things you didn't realise you needed.

much like going to a dive shop for an airfill

The chain on the Boardman is a KMC X10. Should I replace with the same or upgrade and if the latter are there any suggestions?

KMC X10 is the chain of choice for loads of us on here. I won't use Shimano chains anymore and both my bikes use X10 chains. If the chain is ok you should just need a missing link to fettle it.

For the record, if you ever split a 10 speed chain with a chain splitter, NEVER re-connect it with the same pin. ALWAYS use a missing link, or a specific replacement pin, never the original pin :thumbsup:

Top Bottom