Clipless pedals and urban cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I do urban cycling where frequent stopping occurs and there are lots of lights so I wondered whether it would be a good idea to get clipless pedals or is it potentially dangerous?

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s fine, you soon get used to it, just keep the pedal tension low. But get SPD not SL so you can walk and not wear out the cleats with all the stopping starting and foot putting down. The SH56 cleats are multi release, which you may find easier.

I used SPDs for years in built up areas. I’ve had to go back To flats now and broadly fine but painful if foot slips and the pedal gets the Achilles!

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

It’s fine, you soon get used to it, just keep the pedal tension low. But get SPD not SL so you can walk and not wear out the cleats with all the stopping starting and foot putting down. The SH56 cleats are multi release, which you may find easier.

I used SPDs for years in built up areas. I’ve had to go back To flats now and broadly fine but painful if foot slips and the pedal gets the Achilles!
Are mountain bike pedals the same as SPD pedals?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I only bother with clipless if I'm heading out into the countryside, if I'm riding mostly in town I just use flat pedals and street shoes. I
it's not because clipless are tricky or difficult, it's just because flat pedals are more appropriate if you're constantly stopping and starting and on and off the bike. Clipless are really all about better power transfer and pedal efficiency, and that benefit largely evaporates if you're spending a lot of time with your foot on the floor at lights (or both feet on the floor in the queue at the post office).

Love my clipless pedals but like others I don't use them on the Brompton.

If you're unclipping all of the time it's just easier not to use them.

How far are you cycling with this bike?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I adopted traditional toe clips and straps maybe 35 years ago, and disliked flat pedals, even for cycling-to-work and the like. Eventually I succumbed to clipless pedals - I'd held off because I didn't like needing the dreaded "special shoes" even though I can actually walk OK in the mountain bike style two-bolt shoes, and indeed my (admittedly overpriced) Dromatti shoes are quite smart and have been OK walking around the office all day on forgotten-tidy-shoes days. On occasion I've borrowed / hired flat pedalled bikes I really dislike it as I feel my feet are likely to slip off if grunting away from a traffic light or uphill. Dunno and frankly don't really care about "makes no difference to efficiency" debates - I just prefer them. I was already used to clips and straps, so clipless took no getting used to for me; they were easier if anything.

My brompton still has flat pedals but I have umm'd and ah'd about changing, but not done so as yet. I

Clipless pedals offer most advantage for higher intensity riding over distance. For nipping about the city the advantage is less and the drawbacks more.
Anyone starting out with clipless should be fairly competant in their bike handling skills. I dont think it is kit for the beginner.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Clipless pedals offer most advantage for higher intensity riding over distance. For nipping about the city the advantage is less and the drawbacks more.
Anyone starting out with clipless should be fairly competant in their bike handling skills. I dont think it is kit for the beginner.
What do you mean by being competent at bike handling how could someone assess their competency?

vickster

Legendary Member
What do you mean by being competent at bike handling how could someone assess their competency?
Are you confident cycling in all road and weather conditions, getting up most hills, can you deal with urgent stops or direction changes, taking primary, avoiding the gutter and potholes etc?
Are you safe around other cyclists and peds?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You'll know if you're a competent bike handler; You're comfortable at low speed, you're not wobbly when you slow for a crossing, you're not needing to constantly put your feet down, you're confident on poor surfaces, able to adjust your weight distribution to float over pot holes. It isn't something you need to assess forensically.

I think if you can do most of the above you can ride clipless in urban settings. What MichaelW2 is saying is that urban plus clipless isn't ideal for absolute beginners with no confidence.

It would mean you need to be wearing your bike shoes to nip into town or whatever. If you're doing long distances then the efficiency of clipless pedals would help.

Top Bottom