Clipless pedals and urban cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Most of my cycling is in traffic unfortunately I don't get any foot ache. Part of me thinks that I am perhaps not peddling correctly as I think I am not putting the correct part of my foot onto the pedal. The first 20km are always hard afterwards I am ok. I wear running trainers for cycling

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
There's no magic number that constitutes longer distance, I think you're overthinking things if I can be honest. If most of your rides are that sort of distance (50-60k) then clipless is of course worth it. But I'd suggest that it's a rare ride indeed that's 50k and mostly urban. Most urban rides, even in London are going to be in single figure mile distances or just getting into double figures and it's those that we're referring to when we say the benefit of clipless becomes more limited.

vickster

Legendary Member
50-60k always in traffic, horrific!
Well presumably she does get out of Central London on those rides (if not, perhaps she should get out with the bike on a train)?
That said, Central London isn't busy early on a Sunday morning for example

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

60km in town is a huge amount. Are you a bike courier ?
I am not a bike courier only a bicycle enthusiast, I try to stick to cycling paths and just see where they go otherwise I just cycle round aimlessly around the city to see where the road takes me and if I want to go home I will look at the road signs or put the navigation on.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

She probably needs to better explain how she organises her 50-60km rides :smile:
I try to stick to official cycling paths and just see where they go otherwise I just cycle round aimlessly around the city to see where the road takes me and if I want to go home I will look at the road signs or put the navigation on. Sometimes I have a place in mind so I cycle there and then cycle round that place.

vickster

Legendary Member
Paths can be stop start, sometimes in a hurry for example, to avoid a dog, I wouldn’t bother with clipless.

why don’t you get a YP railcard and hop on the train for a ride in the countryside? Keeping an eye on the bikes on trains times and rules of course

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Well presumably she does get out of Central London on those rides (if not, perhaps she should get out with the bike on a train)?
That said, Central London isn't busy early on a Sunday morning for example
If you get out of central London there are often loud motor ways in the surroundings so it is annoying it would be nice to cycle for once on a really well paved road that's surrounded by nature ^_^ Perhaps if I become a more experienced cyclist I might undertake the great tour of Europe or the UK so I can cycle somewhere nice.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you get out of central London there are often loud motor ways in the surroundings so it is annoying it would be nice to cycle for once on a really well paved road that's surrounded by nature ^_^ Perhaps if I become a more experienced cyclist I might undertake the great tour of Europe or the UK so I can cycle somewhere nice.
Get a train to somewhere like Dorking (or one of a hundred other places in the Home Counties) and enjoy the countryside

I like to visit London as much as the next person but yes definitely get out into the country side. Hopefully organised rides will come back soon and you can do things like the Dunwich Dynamo next year to see the countryside.

boydj

Legendary Member
Most of my cycling is in traffic unfortunately I don't get any foot ache. Part of me thinks that I am perhaps not peddling correctly as I think I am not putting the correct part of my foot onto the pedal. The first 20km are always hard afterwards I am ok. I wear running trainers for cycling

If you're peddling, you're definitely doing it wrong, you should be pedalling:rolleyes: Seriously, my commute for many years had 32 sets of traffic lights each way, but I wouldn't have considered not using clipless pedals and shoes. My favourites were speedplay frogs, but they don't sell them any more. Any decent mtb pedal and mtb shoes will do and will work well for the longer runs too, and you won't walk like a duck at the cafe stop. Road pedals and shoes are only really worthwhile if you intend racing.

Running trainers are not ideal as the soles are too soft to support the feet on the pedals properly, unless the pedals have quite a large platform. Cleats make a big difference, when climbing particularly.

si_c

Guru
Dual sided SPD pedals are probably the best option. I have some on one of my bikes, it's my go to if I need something from the shops or am meeting friends. Just wear regular shoes and jeans.

For longer rides I can put bike shoes on and use the clipless system on the reverse.

Top Bottom