Clipless pedals & Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
Howdy-do.

Last night I placed an order for my new bike on Wiggle (reluctantly but the 30-day test ride swayed me). Now, I'm aware my new wheels will be shipped with crapetty-crap pedals, which makes it the perfect opportunity to take the plunge and go clipless. The only downside being, of course, that I have next to no knowledge on the subject.

I think I'm looking at MTB pedals/shoes, as I'm not too keen on the idea of solid road shoes (though my riding will be done on the road, on a road bike).

Price could do with being as cheap as possible, since it's my first venture in to clipless, and also since I've just spent most of my fundage on the bike itself :tongue:

Any help/advice/suggestions greatly appreciated
smile.gif

-Chris

PpPete

Legendary Member
the perfect opportunity to take the plunge and go clipless.
I think I'm looking at MTB pedals/shoes,

-Chris

Very sensible !
The Shimano PD-M520 are almost universally liked & recommended. £20 if you shop around.
Being double sided they are easy to clip in to. I now have them on all my bikes and can see no reason to change to anything else.

Shoes ... have a quick look in your local Lidl to see if any left (unlikely - but ludicrously cheap if so).
Otherwise, DHB R1 got a good write up in Cycling Active recently... no doubt the M1 is as good, although I've no personal experience.

monkeypony

If you want an SPD pedal with more of a 'roadie' design and feel, the shimano A600s are very good. In fact, they're only 10grams heavier the the Dura-Ace SLs!.

The're a bit dearer the the M520s but I've seen them on Ebay for around the £50 mark which is a good saving on the rrp (in fact, cheaper than I can get them at trade!)

Dan B

Disengaged member
Very sensible !
The Shimano PD-M520 [...] DHB R1
The R1s are good (and cheap) "road" shoes, but looking at my pair they have hard plastic soles and I can't see any kind of recess into which you could fit a cleat and still be able to walk around. But that might just be because the great big Look Delta cleat is covering it up

+1 to the M520, they've served me well for years

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
+1 for the M520's.

I also have R1's and looking at the site they have limited numbers of M1's.

The R1's also show discontinued in a few sizes so don't know if they are getting ready to change the design or what.
I would also be +1 for Lidl shoes. I only have the off road shoe but find them good enough for my occassional offroad riding or trip into town where I want to walk about. My other option in the past has been to sling my Crocs into my bag so I can quickly swop shoes to walk round the shop with out knocking over the tinned bean display.

OP
OP
Hydra

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
Just out of interest, why are you worried about road shoes?

Ideally I'd like a shoe that I can walk in, without limping about and ultimately slipping on to my arse. I think I neglected to mention that in my post.

I think the M520s are the pedals to get. Look likes shoes are going to be the difficult choice...

Our nearest Lidl hardly ever has any cycling clobber, so no luck there :sad:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com

Top Bottom