Closest overtake ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

biking_fox said:
Primary vs secondary here. From my experiance drivers overtake as wide as they feel they can*.

Then your experience does not correlate well with the observed behaviour of all too many motorists who overtake as closely as they can, ideally not even swerving to move around cyclists.

If you are in secondary there is more room for a driver to pass you. Obviously primary was not wide enough to block overtaking - hence it was the wrong place to be. I fully support being in primary where there is not room to overtake. If there is room, then don't be in primary, unless the road surface requires it.

*unless they are being malicious, but this doesn't appear to be the case here.

If there isn't room to safely overtake, then there isn't room to safely overtake. The correct position to be in is a good primary. Primary isn't the wrong place to just because an overtake of you in secondary is a little less unsafe, because if you start out in primary (or worse) all you'll achieve is less space to escape to when the muppet behind you (or in this case Magnatom) decides to pass within a whisker of your elbow.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
magnatom said:
Nah, your way behind (already been answered). In fact the brake lights stay on permanently. Strange fault in what was a fairly expensive and fairly new car.

Stolen?

Cab

magnatom said:
No. The woman who was driving it just wasn't the sort, although I suppose it takes all sorts.....

Bertie Basset would probably be a more responsble motorist.

Oh, you dind't literally mean allsorts, did you...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
Bertie Basset would probably be a more responsble motorist.

Oh, you dind't literally mean allsorts, did you...

:angry: You realise that we are talking about the car in front with the faulty brake lights?

Cab

magnatom said:
:angry: You realise that we are talking about the car in front with the faulty brake lights?

Yes, I know... And if I remember correctly you mentioned it to her but she didn't give two figs about it?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
Yes, I know... And if I remember correctly you mentioned it to her but she didn't give two figs about it?

Ah yes. Actually I was probably a bit harsh about her. I would suggest she was a little bit confused rather than disinterested. Probably worse!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Start with John Forresters analysis of the stats on how many cyclists are caught out by motorists turning through them as opposed to being hit from behind/during overtaking, go back to his work "Bicycle Transportation: A Handbook for Cycling Transportation". I belive you can even get a PDF of one of the old editions for free. Chapter 2 of that edition, if memory serves, is a good starting point.

Cab, are you serious! John Forester's "random sampling" technique is ridiculous. Pick a slice of the population that you know will deliver the desired results, no matter how unrepresentative, then draw the predetermined conclusion from the results.

You may not be aware that JF's lack of metrics, no real interest in exposure and sophmoric analyses are widely discredited now. He himself as admitted that his data is flawed!

Keep trying though!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Cab,

I really don't think you're getting the point; I'm not saying filtering is legal or illegal, merely that you choose a course of action, and you have to work out for yourself what's best. I'm not reinforcing anything!

I still stand by my assertion that filtering down the middle of traffic just isn't as safe as the alternative of maintaining primary/secondary. Legal of not legal -doesn't make a difference. You pays your money, you takes your choice. Filter on!

But to address some of your points:
1. if you do choose to filter forward, it means the probability of you passing by some unobservant careless driver is surely increased, yes? I'll assert it's not the same if you stay where you are.

2. Even you state "if you judge it just right and don't have to stop", surely again, that's an indication of a further judgement you must make -exposing yourself to error here?

3. No, I haven't heard of anyone being doored while filtering. But then again, I don't know anybody who does that action. I don't know of anyone personally being knocked down by a train either, but again that's because I don't know people who walk on tracks. I wouldn't think it's a good idea to walk on train tracks though, eh? I can say I have seen drivers pull out/change lanes unexpectedly with a fair degree of certainty they didn't look when changing lanes at traffic queues. I'll say it again: careless car drivers won't expect you to be there. I don't know about you, but that's really good enough reason for me!

4. and read my post -c a r e f u l l y. At no point am I asserting Magnatom's actions resulted in the close overtake. I was simply commenting on his filtering at the light. In fact the very first thing I did was clearly state the overtaking motorist was at fault.

And again I'll say it -you pays your money, you takes your choice.

Cab said:
And you reinforce the erroneous viewpoint that we are not allowed to filter. I would also say that your chances of being overtaken closely are no better or worse; largely, that risk is based on how big an idiot the person behind you is, and thats just the same if you stay where you are in traffic or if you filter to another spot further forward. What do you lose? Time, comfort, momentum and another shred of understanding from those watching that we're allowed to act as Mag. did.

Time, momentum (if you judge it just right and don't have to stop), comfort, and you publicise to those watching that we're allowed to act in such a way.

Nothing. At all. Your risk isn't measurably greater, is it?

These two are linked, really. I have not seen or heard of anyone being doored between lanes of traffic. Nor have I come across anyone who has had an accident due to not being visible while filtering between lanes of cars (filtering past big vehicles with big blind spots is a different story). Have you?

The former being an erroneous assumption that we only change by challenging, and the latter being an inconsequence.

Bottom line is that you're no more certain of the response from the vehicle behind you in traffic if you're right at the front or right near the back. This incident is not the fault of Magnatoms filtering, it is entirely, 100% the fault of the motorist and we should not entertain even for a moment the possibility that responsibly filtering and claiming a good road position was in any way linked to it. It wasn't. The car passing too close would have done so had that motorist been stuck behind Mag not filtering. The level of disrespect and disregard for a cyclist shown there is so massive that it is simply not reasonable or required to entertain other possibilities.

Cab

Nigeyy said:
Cab,

I really don't think you're getting the point; I'm not saying filtering is legal or illegal, merely that you choose a course of action, and you have to work out for yourself what's best. I'm not reinforcing anything!

Yes, you are. If you act in a way which othere erroeneously believe is required of you, you're reinforcing that erroneous view. Doesn't mean that you should never do it, but its impossible to dispute that fact.

I still stand by my assertion that filtering down the middle of traffic just isn't as safe as the alternative of maintaining primary/secondary. Legal of not legal -doesn't make a difference. You pays your money, you takes your choice. Filter on!

Legal/not legal does make a difference. If you're legally allowed to do it and others are required to look out for people doing it, then of course it makes a difference.

But to address some of your points:
1. if you do choose to filter forward, it means the probability of you passing by some unobservant careless driver is surely increased, yes? I'll assert it's not the same if you stay where you are.

Yes. The probability of passing by an unobservant driver is increased; yet the probability of an unobservant driver opening a door that leads straight in to traffic is tiny, getting doored is usually the result of filtering kerb side or going too close around the outside of a parked vehicle. I maintain that I have never seen nor hear of any cyclist getting doored between lanes of traffic. So, simply, you're multiplying up a risk that is negligible, the risk is still therefore negligible,

2. Even you state "if you judge it just right and don't have to stop", surely again, that's an indication of a further judgement you must make -exposing yourself to error here?

Indeed. You can make mistakes and get things all wrong. True of all cycling. But now you're getting to the point where you just don't ride in traffic because of your own fallibility.

3. No, I haven't heard of anyone being doored while filtering. But then again, I don't know anybody who does that action. I don't know of anyone personally being knocked down by a train either, but again that's because I don't know people who walk on tracks. I wouldn't think it's a good idea to walk on train tracks though, eh?

There are hundreds, even thousands of footpaths crossing railway lines, many of them with no signals at all, no level crossing, yet people regularly fail to be run over by trains. In fact those places where it is safe and legal for people to cross or move along railway lines are spectacularly safe. Not sure what point you're making there to be honest. You're comparing a safe action with filtering between lanes of static traffic...

I can say I have seen drivers pull out/change lanes unexpectedly with a fair degree of certainty they didn't look when changing lanes at traffic queues. I'll say it again: careless car drivers won't expect you to be there. I don't know about you, but that's really good enough reason for me!

That traffic in the example was bumper to bumper, no one could move out until it started to shift. Mag wasn't going to be hit by someone changing lanes there because no one could possibly change lanes without sideswiping another vehicle.

4. and read my post -c a r e f u l l y. At no point am I asserting Magnatom's actions resulted in the close overtake. I was simply commenting on his filtering at the light. In fact the very first thing I did was clearly state the overtaking motorist was at fault.

And again I'll say it -you pays your money, you takes your choice.

I didn't accuse you of blaming Mag, I asserted more strongly than you had that not only was this not Mags fault, but the filtering issue is utterly, totally irrelevent to the matter in hand because there is no vague link between the two.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Muppet.

>> Why do I want to know the name of your favourite TV show?
Ha ha. No, really. My sides are splitting.

Look, intestines..

Why should Mags have to adjust his road positioning to accommodate some numpty who shouldn't be on the road?
Do you really want me to explain that to you?
Err, yes please. It's the other driver's responsibility to be aware of traffic on the road they are turning on to. Obviously Mags *needed* to adjust based on the driver's acute lack of braincells, but the point is he *shouldn't* have to in the first place if the driver could actually drive properly.

If you were in a car doing the same thing as Mags here, would you seriously be calm and say 'Oh, that's fine, I was assuming they'd do that so I'll adjust my positioning and speed to allow them' - no, you'd probably swear at them and have to brake and be rightly peeved by it.
Would I adjust my positioning and speed if I were driving a car? Yes as I have done countless times.
And you were totally relaxed about this were you. The fact that you, driving sensibly and correctly, had to adjust for someone else's lack of care/attention? Yeah. Pull the other one, it's got bells attached.

They approached the junction, slowed to a stop, waited for Mags to get closer and then pulled out!!
Driving like that should be rewarded by points on their license and retraining.
So you are now the forum's mind reader now, how do you know what the driver was thinking?
Errr, I would have thought it was patently obvious they weren't thinking. Never said anything about what they *were* thinking. Can you read?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
I said start there. Feel free not to.

I guess that means you cannot substantiate your earlier claim?

If you're truly interested in so-called "best practices" and cycling safety, I would recommend trying to get hold Stanley Batt's critique of Forester's often dodgy research.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I've just called the police and they require that I pop into a station and report it there (and to bring the video along). I won't manage until Friday.

It will be interesting to see what their response is.

Cab

Origamist said:
I guess that means you cannot substantiate your earlier claim?

No, it means that your starting position thus stated:

If you're truly interested in so-called "best practices" and cycling safety, I would recommend trying to get hold Stanley Batt's critique of Forester's often dodgy research.

...implies complet immutability in your stance, and it isn't worth my time providing any kind of data or reference for you.

Top Bottom