Clothing Choices for the Middle Aged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
When I was a student I had a harris tweed jacket, admittedly moth eaten and from Oxfam. Completely different clothes these days - yorkshire tweed brand new from a proper shop

I found mine by accident browsing sales, Harris tweed remarkably only in my size down from £200 to £40!...and thus the love affair started. All seasons, all occasions - bar financial services clients.

OP
OP
U

User32269

Can I still wear my smoking jacket now that I've stopped smoking?
I've still got my reefer jacket...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I found mine by accident browsing sales, Harris tweed remarkably only in my size down from £200 to £40!...and thus the love affair started. All seasons, all occasions - bar financial services clients.

It's good stuff harris tweed. A mate bought one when he was a civil servent visiting farms for pollution enforcement. Turning up scruffy you'd not look professional, turn up in a suit, on a farm, you'd look like a twat from the city knowing nothing. Harris tweed with tie and you look like a vet or or other country professional and have the necessary gravitas to tell the farmers what they must and mustn't do. Robust things too. In his water board van some battery acid had leaked soaking his new jacket. He washed it out fearing the worst when the (nylon) lining dissolved into slime but the tweed itself was unscathed. His mum put a new lining in and it was good as new.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It's good stuff harris tweed. A mate bought one when he was a civil servent visiting farms for pollution enforcement. Turning up scruffy you'd not look professional, turn up in a suit, on a farm, you'd look like a twat from the city knowing nothing. Harris tweed with tie and you look like a vet or or other country professional and have the necessary gravitas to tell the farmers what they must and mustn't do. Robust things too. In his water board van some battery acid had leaked soaking his new jacket. He washed it out fearing the worst when the (nylon) lining dissolved into slime but the tweed itself was unscathed. His mum put a new lining in and it was good as new.
They are, indeed, wonderful. If young people are struggling to understand their utility, they're pretty much the fleeces of the olden days.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 4808508, member: 43827"]It doesn't matter too much what you wear as you age, but never ever wear anything from the Old Guys range of "humorous" slogans, and preferably never wear any clothes with writing on them, except your own club jersey.[/QUOTE]

I am proud of my selection:

"Probably The Best Dad In The World"
"iDad"
"Worlds Best Dad"
"Family Guy"

Admittedly, very rarely worn outside the house.

OP
OP
U

User32269

I am proud of my selection:

"Probably The Best Dad In The World"
"iDad"
"Worlds Best Dad"
"Family Guy"

Admittedly, very rarely worn outside the house.
I have to wear the Daddy Pig pyjama bottoms the kids got me in the house only. Can't chance wearing them in public, the female attention would be unrelenting.

MarkF

Guru
I've always been a good dresser but now, l look at like this. I am a middle aged man, 54, balding, greying & with a big broken conk, l can only scam it through my physique & clothes, there are no other options.^_^

OP
OP
U

User32269

I've always been a good dresser but now, l look at like this. I am a middle aged man, 54, balding, greying & with a big broken conk, l can only scam it through my physique & clothes, there are no other options.^_^
I'm nearly 52, a slap head and my nose has got its own postcode. I've got the physique of a pipe cleaner and dress appallingly. Count your blessings!

simon.r

Person
I've been resisting replying to this thread.

But...I had a bit of a revelation following my divorce a few years ago.

Prior to that it was whatever 'felt comfortable'. Since...I wear what makes me feel good and looks good on a middle aged bloke. fark the money, if I want a pair of Paul Smith jeans or an All Saints shirt (with no, or very discrete logos) I'll go for it.

Justification? It feels good.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 4808508, member: 43827"]It doesn't matter too much what you wear as you age, but never ever wear anything from the Old Guys range of "humorous" slogans, and preferably never wear any clothes with writing on them, except your own club jersey.[/QUOTE]
My sister gave me T shirt with a picture of a bike on it and the message " Cranky old guys rock".
I've never let it see the light of day, even in North America. Messages are bad at any age.....rather like bumper stickers really.

MarkF

Guru
An Ebay and beer Sunday night saw me buy a Paul Smith cream Harrington (Which I didn't want really), a Paul Smith pinstriped jacket and.........yep, a Paul Smith "Westbourne" suit. Still looking for some tan brogue Loake boots for which I have some purple laces waiting....... :okay:

16451a299202d327237a123aad72609e.jpg

Top Bottom