Clothing Choices for the Middle Aged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Back when I did a lot of canoeing and outdoors stuff, my daughter used to refer to me as "man at Milletts" because I was always in fleeces and Ron Hill trackie bottoms.

Since giving up on all that, I now have a colour co-ordinated wardrobe of clothes to take on holiday, consisting of t-shirts, hoodies and walking trousers in shades of green, brown and sand colours, and she calls me "Mr Earth Tones".

For dossing around the house when I am not at work, my standard uniform is t-shirt and jeans, with a particularly lary pair of bright blue and orange trainers, which left Miss Salad speechless - a rare event indeed!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Me and @Hill Wimp have to coordinate our outdoorsey clothes otherwise we look like Howard and Hilda...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That is fine until she is having a day when you have annoyed her, even though you may not know it.
Everyday then?
There is nothing that gives the illusion of youth more than a good physique, it's not all about clothes.If you have a regular middle aged bod, yet dress "young", you'll look odd, there is no getting away from that.
I have the body of a 21yr old but the face of a 51yr old :sad:

smoking jacket and cravat
upload_2017-5-17_9-56-26.png

Clothes for the older man are crap - they either look like something you would go to to work in or something you bought to go to work in - defaulting to outdoor clothes is just as bad - doesnt matter what brand it is - it all looks the same - and is all in black or shades of colours that might just as well be black

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Whats the point of a polo shirt? I've never got it, why have a t shirt with a collar on? I think they also look dreadfull on women.
Where do polo shirts fit into this? The polo shirt is the athleisure update on the T-shirt, in the same way that the sweatshirt is the new crewneck. The tone of fashion is shifting from that architectural-minimalist, “I probably work in an art gallery” look to something both sportier and a bit more brassy. Looks that would have been a bit naff – a bit Westfield, if you know what I mean – are now deeply fashionable. Tracksuits, say. And polo shirts.

Two last points: never, ever pop the collar on a polo shirt, as this tips you into Abercrombie & Fitch territory; and if you must wear it with jeans, you must not wear a belt. Sorry to be blunt: it’s the polo shirt talking.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2016/may/06/athleisure-polo-shirt-skirt-jess-cartner-morley

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Back when I did a lot of canoeing and outdoors stuff, my daughter used to refer to me as "man at Milletts" because I was always in fleeces and Ron Hill trackie bottoms.

Since giving up on all that, I now have a colour co-ordinated wardrobe of clothes to take on holiday, consisting of t-shirts, hoodies and walking trousers in shades of green, brown and sand colours, and she calls me "Mr Earth Tones".

For dossing around the house when I am not at work, my standard uniform is t-shirt and jeans, with a particularly lary pair of bright blue and orange trainers, which left Miss Salad speechless - a rare event indeed!

Me too! I was man at Millets. No paddling or hill walking here any longer.

Uniforms eh?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've seen them in France but, according to this site (http://www.c-and-a.com/uk/en/corporate/company/about-ca/stores/locations/), Germany has 470 stores. Looking at their logo just now I was surprised to see how much it resembled an oval chainwheel.
Gratuitous streetview pic of bikes outside a C&A:
o=aO_304iQlcH0slvZSyOgyQ&heading=58.94881684555199&fov=99.91836734693877&pitch=6.944342270197097.jpg

It's an old Dutch company that only left the UK in 2000 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/792028.stm - just how short is @Drago's memory? ;)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Staying at the Holiday Inn in Burnley next Saturday as we have a wedding nearby in the afternoon. Don't intend to visit the town though.
Go on,have a look round. You'll enjoy the experience!;) Actually,it's not all bad. I should've gone earlier to have a proper look round the shops. What annoyed me most was the pace at which they walk at and the friggin' pigeons!:cursing: Both kept walking in front of me,getting in my way,slowing me down.

I'm off to Blackburn hospital soon for a pre-op assessment That'll be the same. Dozy gits walking at 1 mph, and they have the cheek to moan about me taking my bike in,saying it gets in peoples way!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
During my sickness benefits medical yesterday,the assessor mentioned about me wearing what she thought was cycling gear. She asked why if i've broken my hip twice, would i be wearing cycling gear. I told her the jacket wasn't a cycling jacket,but a tennis jacket. So you play tennis with a broken hip eh?,she asked. She just couldn't get her head round folk wearing sporty stuff but not actually taking part in that particular sport when they wear the gear. Maybe i should've worn scruffy Burnley type clothing to convince her that i'm now a layabout?!:laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I live in cargo shorts and designer shirts. Hardly ever wear trousers or jeans. I can buy from the second hand market at £2-5. Brought from the US and Europe. There's a local word for them which I can't recall but translates into 'clothes from the dead white man'!

Top Bottom