Clothing Choices for the Middle Aged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
During my sickness benefits medical yesterday,the assessor mentioned about me wearing what she thought was cycling gear. She asked why if i've broken my hip twice, would i be wearing cycling gear. I told her the jacket wasn't a cycling jacket,but a tennis jacket. So you play tennis with a broken hip eh?,she asked. She just couldn't get her head round folk wearing sporty stuff but not actually taking part in that particular sport when they wear the gear. Maybe i should've worn scruffy Burnley type clothing to convince her that i'm now a layabout?!:laugh:
She'd have found my current footwear confusing: one NHS walking boot, one Shimano cleated sandal and one sock.

Apart from that: a combination of Aldi, LiDL and Wiggle-supplied clothing.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Personally, I think I'm a bit of a catch.
IMG_0033.JPG

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
addressing the OP:

while I may not have mentioned it, I'd have definitely thought it -dressing like you are 16 when you are middle aged is a definite faux pas IMHO. Mind you, not any law against it, and I'm certainly far from fashionable, so who am I to talk? (I wear crocs* a lot as they are comfortable, light and practical -and I really don't care if they are unfashionable).

As I've got older (in my fifties) I've definitely tried to eschew jeans and t-shirts at work -my usual thing is a collared plain shirt and chinos sort of thing. When I do hang around maybe jeans and a t-shirt then. I'm also a fleece person as well. Whenever and where ever possible I'll wear shorts as well, but again, not at work.

*mind you, I absolutely abhor flip flops, both in terms of their looks and their practicality (I also think it may be something to with the fact many trust fund babies over here will wear them at their wedding to show how down to earth and hip they are, and how much they love the beach). And don't get me started on loafers or slip ons -particularly the ones with tassles <shudder>. The most poncey looking things I've ever seen. IMHO an abomination that should have long ago been banned under the Geneva convention for offensive footwear.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Fleeces are the cardigans it's ok to wear.

Top Bottom