Club ride average speeds, could i keep up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That all depends on the 12yo's normalised power, apparently ;) :laugh:
Normalised poer to weight please. Don't you know nuffink?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Beacon RCC club rides I went on when I lived in Birmingham were the right sort of pace. I think they described it as "fast touring". Whatever the route, the moving average was always very close to 15.5mph by the time I was home. This meant the cruising speed on the flat was about 18mph - slow enough to chat, but fast enough to keep sentences short!

The club rides around here are a moronic willy-waving exercise in comparison. I've seen 29mph on the flat.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The Beacon RCC club rides I went on when I lived in Birmingham were the right sort of pace. I think they described it as "fast touring". Whatever the route, the moving average was always very close to 15.5mph by the time I was home. This meant the cruising speed on the flat was about 18mph - slow enough to chat, but fast enough to keep sentences short!
I managed speeds like that once. There was a howling gale from the west and I was riding a flat route going East.

Actually that's not quite true, I didn't manage to go that fast.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I managed speeds like that once. There was a howling gale from the west and I was riding a flat route going East.

Actually that's not quite true, I didn't manage to go that fast.
Moving average is meaningless in at least two major ways:
1. moronically charging up to lights and junctions, slamming on the brakes to stop dead and then sprinting away produces higher speeds than coasting up and pedalling through a gap or green;
2. Some people mess with their autopause settings to raise their moving average speed.

Overall average speed and cruising speed is probably a more reliable summary and even that ain't great.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Exactly the average pace might look reasonable but if they charge up hills and freewheel down them that’s a very different profile to pedalling up and down at a more balanced pace.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I've asked at said club if i can join a couple of rides to see how i get on, it's something offered on their club website, that was a week ago and haven't heard anything back as yet.

Decided to check out another club as a back up, the first one is in the next village so is only 5km away, the next one is about 12km away. Took a look at their website and scrolled through some of the members and noticed Danilo Wyss on the list:notworthy:

KOM's round here are definitely "Pro level":laugh::laugh::laugh:

iandg

Legendary Member
Never mind the OP being able to keep up - more importantly will his 12 yr old be able to do so in a bunch of adults?

Did my first 100 miler with a club when I was 12. A reliability trial, stayed with the club group all the way.

Top Bottom