Club ride average speeds, could i keep up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My issue in the winter isn't my fitness, but nervousness at riding in close proximity to people in poor conditions. Especially when there's a mix of brakes.

I'm not sure the mix of brakes is an issue in the real world. The pro peleton has a mix and it's not a problem.

My old cantilevers were pants compared to my comrades rim brakes but it never caused a problem. You don't do a huge amount of braking really ?

GoldenLamprey

I doubt I'll go out with my club again. The pace of a good few lads has jumped significantly. They do 60+ miles at over 20mph average. I could only do that 15-20 miles in a group ride. Plus my desire to be the fastest I can has waned over the last year or so.
I know the feeling and am trying hard to get up to scratch to rejoin mine, as they were doing 70miles at 20+mph too, late last year. Furlough last spring, and good weather, gave too many of them the time to put some serious hours in. I was working from home, doing short local rides and simply losing long ride endurance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I doubt I'll go out with my club again. The pace of a good few lads has jumped significantly. They do 60+ miles at over 20mph average. I could only do that 15-20 miles in a group ride. Plus my desire to be the fastest I can has waned over the last year or so.

Surely they have different average speed groups in your club no?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] but if I had the time I would try and organize some slower rides for the over 60's 70's.
Why the ageism?

Yes,they must surely have a beginner's / slower ride out?
Why equate slower with beginners? Not a given in various ways, especially as there seems a general (but not universal) trend to slow as we age.

Sharky

Guru
Why the ageism?
Joking really, but I'd need to attract the oldies to give myself a chance to keep up. However, we have an ex-pro in our club in his mid 70's who is still churning out 24 min 10's.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I have found that for many clubs the 'slower' rides also equate to short ditances. There is definitely a need for slower rides but still covering say 30-60 miles

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have found that for many clubs the 'slower' rides also equate to short ditances. There is definitely a need for slower rides but still covering say 30-60 miles
This one is always interesting to me as a Club Sec. We have members who don't ride the Club Ride (50-60 miles) because it's too slow and therefore takes too long. Others who want it to be slower.

We ended up putting on a second ride for those who want a faster ride. It doesn't include a cafe stop.

I also know there are others who want to go still slower. It's a nightmare!!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We had that in our CTC group. The longer rides have faster averages required. Plenty could do the longer rides at the averages of the shorter rides. But it’s not offered. Not a time issue either as the long rides faff at more than one stop and take all day anyway.

Definitely a market for club rides of 50-60 miles at 12-13 mph.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This one is always interesting to me as a Club Sec. We have members who don't ride the Club Ride (50-60 miles) because it's too slow and therefore takes too long. Others who want it to be slower.

We ended up putting on a second ride for those who want a faster ride. It doesn't include a cafe stop.

I also know there are others who want to go still slower. It's a nightmare!!!
We aim for different lengths of ride dependent on speed and ability
the slowest group might be 35 miles with a cake stop ranging to around 55 miles with a stop, i was one of the ride leaders in the 18 AVG ride and used to plan on 50+ with a cake stop after 30 odd miles

gbb

Legendary Member
A different approach maybe ?
I never joined a club at my fittest (18mph average over 50 miles) but sometimes got caught up in one and it certainly pulls you along, that really surprised me. But inevitably , if you choose the wrong group, you're going to get spat out.
So it occured to me, if ever I had joined a club, I'd have been happy to ride along, get spat out if I couldnt keep up...and accept it. Let the others do their thing, you do yours. You can still enjoy the remainder of the ride and gain from the work you put in while in the group.
Nobody ever said you have to start AND finish with the group.

Top Bottom