Coating the inside of a steel frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I've heard of some people coating the inside of their steel frames by squirting WD40 or Waxoil through the vent holes and seat tube to coat the inside of the frame against corrosion.

Is this necessary or just overkill?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, I can't see that it would hurt, but my steel frame is nearly 20 years old and hasn't rusted through yet.
Bugger.
Now I've said that it'll fall to bits tomorrow.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I did my LHT with Waxoil, but it's probably overkill on all but the most exotic, thin walled tubing tbh. Anecdotes abound of untreated steel frames lasting 20 years plus.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I had a half-used tent-waterproofing aerosol hanging around after I got my respray, so I thought what the hell and gave it a few squirts down the seat tube and in thru' the BB before I put it all back together. Can't hurt, can it? 

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1286967323' post='1429768']
I had a half-used tent-waterproofing aerosol hanging around after I got my respray, so I thought what the hell and gave it a few squirts down the seat tube and in thru' the BB before I put it all back together. Can't hurt, can it?
[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Jesus NO! Not tent waterproofer!

It'll probably be OK.

e-rider

crappy member
I've heard of some people coating the inside of their steel frames by squirting WD40 or Waxoil through the vent holes and seat tube to coat the inside of the frame against corrosion.

Is this necessary or just overkill?

Not sure I would use WD40 but it's defo a good idea - frames can/do rust through and fail typically anytime after about 10-30 years depending on how well it's looked after, conditions of use and quality of the steel, prep. and paint finish.

A well looked after quality steel frame should last a lifetime really.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've always done mine with either WD, waxoyl or a good light aerosol chain lube. My bikes are all 15-20 years old, and no rust inside the tubes.

Best do it before you build it up - i.e. easy to waggle a light frame about, not so easy a fully built bike.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've sprayed mine inside with Waxoil. I don't know if it's really necessary considering I've a 60 year old bike which was unused and stored in damp conditions for about 25 years and it had no rust on inside of the tubes. There again, old roadsters were built from finest boiler plate and unlikely to rust through any time soon. A lightweight may need more care.

ASC1951

Guru
Waste of time on a bike - the frame rusts from the outside.

I used to do it on my car, where the metal is much thinner and it's outside in the weather a lot longer.

bobg

Über Member
but be careful if you subsequently decide to have the frame powder coated.... whatever you use tends to seep out when the nice new powdercoat is baked on... unless you like a nice brown streaky finish,,,,

jimboalee

but be careful if you subsequently decide to have the frame powder coated.... whatever you use tends to seep out when the nice new powdercoat is baked on... unless you like a nice brown streaky finish,,,,

Very true. Also applies to Stove enameling.

Usually, before painting and stoving, the framebuilder washes/degreases everything out first.

snailracer

Über Member
Spraying a bit of oil into a frame is not overkill, compared to plating it with gold:

gold-bike404_676294c.jpg

Top Bottom