Coffee (cold) to go......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BromptonChrispy

Hi everybody. Has anybody got a reasonable recipe for a home made cold coffee drink to take on a bike ride? Some of the shop-bought ones I've tried are a bit gack and overly sweet. I'm pretty good at making all sorts of hot coffees from beans etc etc but not a cold version that's not too bitter. As all the caffs are currently shut I wanna take a drink, other than water, out with a vacuum flask.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Squeeze a caffeine gel into your bidon and kill two birds with one stone?

Otherwise what wrong with making coffee then letting it go cold? You probably think cold is bitter because a lot of the aroma is suppressed.

Slioch

Guru
I make myself a very basic frappe in the warmer weather.

Get a screw top jar (marmalade jar or similar will do).
Add two teaspoons of normal instant coffee, and half a teaspoon of sugar.
Fill one third with milk, and one third with water.
Put top on and.....shake shake shake shake shake (I normally do a little dance around the kitchen when I'm doing this). Shake a bit more.
Pour over ice into a tall glass, and drink through a straw (or in your case, put some ice in your waterbottle and pour into that).
You can adjust the quantities as you go along until you hit on a formula that works for you.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I take this recipe on a long summer ride for half-way-round:
  • 12oz strong black dripper filter coffee, allowed to go fully cold
  • 4oz Jersey milk
  • Tbsp agave syrup / honey / brown sugar to taste
  • Fling the above in a food processor with a couple of ice cubes; blitz heartily and decant into your chilled flask

united4ever

Über Member
isn't the 'cold brew' made overnight....mix ground coffee with water, leave in fridge overnight and then strain out the grounds and add milk to taste. never tried making it but went on a coffee market research focus group once where the product was cold brew....sure enough the next summer it was the new drink in costa

ozboz

Guru
isn't the 'cold brew' made overnight....mix ground coffee with water, leave in fridge overnight and then strain out the grounds and add milk to taste. never tried making it but went on a coffee market research focus group once where the product was cold brew....sure enough the next summer it was the new drink in costa
Ms ozboz loves them cold like that , even on a winters day !
Sat outside !!

OP
OP
BromptonChrispy

BromptonChrispy

Thanks for the suggestions y'all 👍. All very useful and I'm (almost) dumbstruck to have not heard of cold-brew filter coffee! Anyway I got a cold brew going with a cafetière instead of a jar and will give that a go.

sacrilege.
Re the original question, pack a small stove and an espresso pot - nip round the back of a church for a proper coffee. That's what I do.
I didn't think of this either.....:bravo:
Thanks again - what a wonderful community ♥

Top Bottom