Coffee (cold) to go......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As an aside, back in the day, on hot car journeys, I used to quite like the chocolate-milk or coffee-milk they sell in motorway services in Southern Europe. Never fancied it in normal circumstances. Anyhow I bought a carton of it in a services in Spain, took one swig, and spat it out in horror, as it seemed to be some fizzy concoction of coca cola and milk which is every bit as revolting as you might think.

Can you still buy Camp coffee? I used to love an icy cold glass of that as a kid.
If you fancy a trip down memory lane it's still sold by the major supermarkets. You could be disappointed if the recipe has changed or your taste buds have grown up.

GlenBen

Über Member
I like the coldbrew method the best. 2 big tablespoons of coarse ground into a single cup cafetiere and leave overnight. Sometimes water that down the following day depending how I feel.

Another I like, double shot espresso, hot, topped up with either cold water or milk, weirdly I find it tastes strange if I mix cold water milk and hot coffee.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I like an iced coffee in the summer and I use this recipe which has the benefit of only making the coffee part once every 8-10 servings!

For the coffee concentrate (rocket fuel - wouldn’t recommend it on its own):
140-150g course coffee grinds steeped in 1100ml water overnight. Drain and store in the fridge (will be fine for a good few days).

For each serving (obviously tweak the mix to taste):
150ml coffee (concentrated stuff above)
200ml cold water
80ml milk
20ml vanilla syrup (optional - I hate flavours or sugar in hot coffees but enjoy the sweetness in a cold one)

Because about 60% of the liquid is coming from the fridge, you don’t need to bother with ice or even chilled water (just let the cold tap run a little). Would be different on a ride though - all chilled liquids and ice I’d say!

Can you still buy Camp coffee? I used to love an icy cold glass of that as a kid.

Loved it since I was a kid and that was all we could get. A bit too sweet for me as coffee these days, but we always have some in the cupboard for pouring over ice-cream.

ozboz

Guru

I saw this patrolling around Sainsbury’s this morning, do I bought some , just for old times sake 😊

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Interesting fact time. The solubility of caffeine in cold/room temperature water is significantly lower than that in hot/boiling water.

I don't know whether this makes a fat lot of difference to the delivery of caffeine to a person between hot and cold coffee.

So maybe not all that interesting

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I tried the cold brew method, and to my mind it doesnt deliver the caffeine I need half way round a ride. Caffeine seems to help open my airways and give me a boost, perceived or not. And cold brew perhaps tastes better but doesnt do it for me. Try a few ways and settle on your own taste. Another interesting CC thread. Aren’t we great?!

ozboz

Guru
In a plastic bottle these days :ohmy:

Do you remember the controversy some years back when they had to change the label as the old one was considered to have too many connotations of colonialism and racism?
Interesting fact time. The solubility of caffeine in cold/room temperature water is significantly lower than that in hot/boiling water.

I don't know whether this makes a fat lot of difference to the delivery of caffeine to a person between hot and cold coffee.

So maybe not all that interesting

I can’t say I remember any problems with the label tbh, but I was in Australia for a long time so may have missed it

If you do not know something it can be of interest @Dogtrousers , and I’ll encourage Ms ozboz to drink it cold to help stop her bouncing off the ceilings in this lockdown 😂

Top Bottom