Coffee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Got a Aeropress for Xmas,quite impressed !
Saying that I do like the Kenco instant coffee aswell.

si_c

Guru
They are very good pieces of kit - it's what I use at work, much to the amusement of colleagues.
Yep, same here. I'm particular about my brew technique though, inverted method, 3 minutes contact time stirring periodically, press through metal filter then add water for an Americano.

I like the aeropress because it's so durable and works with the minimal equipment typically available, I wouldn't trust a V60 in a shared kitchen for example. I dread to think the looks on peoples faces if I brought in a proper kettle to use for a pour-over :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cafetiere is all I use and no instant in the house. Not too fussy but just try a variety of blends and grinds.
Not a coffee snob but prefer it to tea nowadays which I always have black with no sugar.

Adam4868

Guru
Cafetiere is all I use and no instant in the house. Not too fussy but just try a variety of blends and grinds.
Not a coffee snob but prefer it to tea nowadays which I always have black with no sugar.
I either like really bad,out of a machine at work/instant or really good coffee.
There's no in-between for me !
Took my daughter into Costa the other day and thought it was sh1te...a soup bowl of blandness 😁

winjim

Smash the cistern
Got a Aeropress for Xmas,quite impressed !
Saying that I do like the Kenco instant coffee aswell.

I got one too. I'm a convert.
Got one for my birthday last year. Takes up zero space in the kitchen and is less faff than a proper machine. I never got on with the old machine anyway, it was about twenty minutes work for a shoot brew. Aeropress makes better coffee for less effort.

I don't have the time or patience for BS like bean mass and grind size. Even less the concentration of magnesium ions in the water which according to the bloke at the coffee shop near work, which serves the best coffee I have ever drunk, makes all the difference.

Adam4868

Guru
don't have the time or patience for BS like bean mass and grind size. Even less the concentration of magnesium ions in the water which according to the bloke at the coffee shop near work, which serves the best coffee I have ever drunk, makes all the difference.
Surely the best coffee you ever drink has to be about location aswell.Ive a particular favourite in Bergamo where you can sit and watch the world go by....I'd swear it's the best coffee I've ever had.
I think !

OP
OP
B

Biker man

The mistake that most people make with their espresso machines is that they grind and brew all coffee beans the same whether light roast or dark roast. The grind size, the temperature, the brew time, the grams of coffee in the portafilter and the fluid oz of coffee brewed govern the texture and taste. To get it to your taste isn't accidental but arrived at by design. I drink the occasional espresso and it shouldn't be particularly sour or bitter. Getting the espresso right for whatever size of portafilter forms the basis for all other types of coffee. Oh and BTW for an Americano do not continue to brew the coffee through the portafilter basket. Make the espresso and then add the hot water.

My tip. Try measuring out the grams of ground coffee and tamper them evenly and then place the recepticle on small kitchen scales and allow the brew to flow through the portafilter until you have reached 1.75 times the grams of ground coffee. It should take around 30 seconds @ 9 bars.
Blimey no thanks I will just put a spoonful of coffee in my cup keep life simple.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Surely the best coffee you ever drink has to be about location aswell.Ive a particular favourite in Bergamo where you can sit and watch the world go by....I'd swear it's the best coffee I've ever had.
I think !
Had a great cup of coffee somewhere in Sheffield asked the waitress what make it was she didn't know.

Top Bottom