Cold ent it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
About -5 at home. Got fully togged up in my windproof kit, walked the bike to the main road (estate was too icy), shoved on my overshoes, jumped on the bike and....................nothing - no drive - the freewheel was freewheeling in both directions......

Banged it a bit didn't work....so walked back home, got changed into civies, emailed a colleague to cancel a meeting at another site, came back down stairs.....bike now fine.

Ba11s..... it had defrosted. I'd washed the bike sometime over the weekend, but the air temps haven't been over zero up in Manchester, and with it standing in the -5 temps for 45 mins before I set off, it must have frozen up.

Drove in - left the bike in the house to dry up. Try again tomorrow.

Maz

Guru
It was v.cold this morning. I was wearing legwarmers.
You're not doing yourself any favours wearing shorts at -2c. Your knees won't thank you in the long run. Best keep em covered to protect the synovial fluid in em.

fossyant

I just re-read - shorts.... Below 3c and I use bibs that have a windproof area that covers the knee and front of the thighs. You need warm muscles/joints to fuction properly.

yello

No hero stuff from me either. I'm in leg warmers when it drops to single digit temperatures and longs/tights below 5C.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
+1. It isn't hardy to wear shorts at this temperature, it's foolish!

Actually, I didn't cycle in this morning at all - because it had been so wet before the temperature dropped, the roads around our place were just black ice, and I didn't fancy it... I've got the Brompton in the office already, so I'll be using that to get home tonight.

louise

Baltic here! going nowhere

fossyant

BentMikey said:
Apparently the std fix for a frozen freewheel is to pee on it. LOL!

Not then you have bib shorts and bib tights on :bicycle: That would involve undressing completely....and other things might freeze :eek:.

I was actually outside the local park's public lav... when it happened, so maybe should have gone in there................

...........to warm the freewheel under the hand dryer :thumbsdown:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
BentMikey said:
Apparently the std fix for a frozen freewheel is to pee on it. LOL!

Except if it's really cold (I mean northern Canada cold), because them your pee can freeze as you're doing it and then... :thumbsdown: or so I've been told by Canadian friends although they could be having me on.

PrettyboyTim

It was chilly this morning, Shorts and leg warmers worked fine, but I really need some warmer gloves - although my body and limbs were plenty warm my toes and especially my fingers were very cold. Quite painful when I got into work. I want to pick up some silk inner gloves or something like that, but the last couple of places I've tried haven't had any.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Except if it's really cold (I mean northern Canada cold), because them your pee can freeze as you're doing it and then... :smile: or so I've been told by Canadian friends although they could be having me on.

All that stuff about Captain Oates giving up his life for his friends is rubbish.

What really happenned was that he stepped outside for a pee, slipped on it and was buried in the blizzard.

Could happen to anyone.

jax67

snow here, cold as a bag of frozen cod n all. i poked my carcass out of the door in my fleece and ran back inside for a coffee. Got brave it later as got get the old black bess out and cycle into town for a bag of anthracite and some sticks for my burner to tide me over until the chap on the coal barge arrives. just sent my builder for tea and milk, hes mending my frozen outside loo...
at least ive got half a apple tree in the greenhouse, thats keeping the burner going.
If it snows heavy Im off on the MTB tomorrow - fun on the MTB in the snow, love going past the cars stuck up mow cop (any stokies here will know that place is fun in the snow lol).

jax67

gloves

hiya prettyboy - ive found if you get the gloves from disability places for folks with reynards disease and arthritis these are really warm under cycling gloves and keep the cold out. they have aluminium thread in them, warm as toast.:smile:

Top Bottom