Cold setting rear stays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1 for threaded bar method. I did it with an old Peugeot I built up as a 10 speed. As the old saying goes, "Softly, softly catchy monkey". Take your time tighten evenly, IIRC I alternated 5 turns per side, took a while and as already mentioned it's surprising how far past you need to go to allow for spring back.

e-rider

crappy member
Cold setting, aka bending the frame is not the best idea for OLN130mm to 120mm conversion. Simply add some spacers to the axle - job done. You only need 5mm each side so you'll hardly even notice, although you might need a longer axle; but could try different 'low profile' track nuts instead of longer axle.

robgul

Legendary Member
Have a look at www.beewee.org.uk and the Briefings section for my thoughts on the process - Sheldon's "lumber" lever; threaded rods; lay the frame on the ground - foot on one dropout and pull a bit, reverse the process with the other dropout ... they all work! A bit it string lets you see whether the change is even.

Back to the OP ... you obviously need a frame with horizontal dropouts for a fixed otherwise you can't tension the chain (if it's an s/s you're after ... IMHO don't even think about a chain tensioner if you have vertical dropouts.

Rob

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Grrr, they're vertical.

Oh man, I know you're doing superbly on the diet and training but you maybe want to treat yourself to a bit of brain food :whistle:

Manonabike

Über Member
I have several Reynolds 531 frames with vertical drop outs - they do exist.

Thanks for the correction, I didn't know they existed..... one never stops learning ^_^ and while I'm talking about learning..... is there an easy way of quoting two different posts, like you did, without having to quote one post and copying a second post and pasting it between html tags?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thanks for the correction, I didn't know they existed..... one never stops learning ^_^ and while I'm talking about learning..... is there an easy way of quoting two different posts, like you did, without having to quote one post and copying a second post and pasting it between html tags?

Indeed there is always something new to learn... as I constantly prove to myself.

To quote two different posts - simply "Reply" to the first to open up the box and quote the first... then if you move your mouse back up into the thread and hit "reply" on the second post you want to quote. It's one of the nicer features of the new software.

Top Bottom