Collision between mega bus and cyclist on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
All the cycle helmets in the world can't compensate for riding in front of (or into) a bus :rolleyes:

BSRU

A Human Being
That could have been fatal as the coach was travelling at some speed with no chance of stopping.
Definitely looked like a coach RLJ, the cyclist assumed green means "go" instead of "proceed with caution".

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nasty - RLJ bus I reckon.
Well obviously there are going to be arguements and blame apportioned in both directions here, I reckon they were both pushing their luck with the inevitable consequences. IMO the young lady needs to redefine here idea of what a green light means.... You can proceed if it is clear and safe to do so, not green means GO, especially when you are starting from such an advanced point ahead of the stop line. She is lucky to have got off so lightly, a few fractions of a second difference could have made a tragic difference!

EDIT: BSRU beat me to it :rolleyes:

Hicky

Guru
Is that Fairfield st crossing Manc Way?

lulubel

Über Member
If the lights weren't faulty, then the bus driver needs a refresher course on what red lights signify and what a bike in front of him looks like.

When you're taught to drive a bus, you're taught that there comes a certain point when you commit yourself, and if the lights start to change after that point, you don't stop. Yes, you could stop - the brakes on those things are incredible - but you'd end up with your passengers plastered on the front window.

The cyclist, on the other hand, was way ahead of the stop line, and had both feet on the pedals and was starting to move by the time the camera moved away from looking at the red and amber lights. I can understand why she was there - to get away before the traffic stopped at the lights started to move - but the effect was of a vehicle crossing the stop line before the lights changed, and if you put yourself in that position, you have to take extra care. She didn't even glance to her right. If she had, she would have seen the bus coming, rather than riding into the side of it.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Well obviously there are going to be arguements and blame apportioned in both directions here, I reckon they were both pushing their luck with the inevitable consequences. IMO the young lady needs to redefine here idea of what a green light means.... You can proceed if it is clear and safe to do so, not green means GO, especially when you are starting from such an advanced point ahead of the stop line.

No arguements there. she clearly didn't look right. She was bloody lucky not to have come off an awful lot worse. I do have some sympathy with her positioning though (though not her lack of judgement). We all know of junctions where even the ASL is not nearly far enough forward. I regularly do the same at murderous junctions like that hereabouts, ones where I can still see the lights that is - although I know that technically it's an RLJ.

OP
OP
dave2041

dave2041

Nasty - RLJ bus I reckon. Hope the cyclist is OK.
As an aside, personally I wouldn't have filtered down the left of the bus at the start but waited behind it for the lights to change.
Yes normally i wouldn't have bothered but i know the sequence (isn't that what they all say?) and saw that at the time the left side of traffic was still moving so i had time.

The bus definitely jumped the lights... But she wasn't exactly this side of the stop line, can't believe she didn't look right :sad:

Rider was OK (but quite a bruise i imagine) twisted handlebars and maybe broken brakes...

Well obviously there are going to be arguements and blame apportioned in both directions here, I reckon they were both pushing their luck with the inevitable consequences. IMO the young lady needs to redefine here idea of what a green light means.... You can proceed if it is clear and safe to do so, not green means GO, especially when you are starting from such an advanced point ahead of the stop line. She is lucky to have got off so lightly, a few fractions of a second difference could have made a tragic difference!

EDIT: BSRU beat me to it :rolleyes:

I would agree totally. How the hell didn't she see the bus! A very lucky lady.

Rancid

When you're taught to drive a bus, you're taught that there comes a certain point when you commit yourself, and if the lights start to change after that point, you don't stop. Yes, you could stop - the brakes on those things are incredible - but you'd end up with your passengers plastered on the front window.

You sound just like the tester i had when i took my PCV test 20 years ago.
Had a clear test until i was approaching a set of pedestrian crossing a few hundred meters from the bus garage.The lights when amber and i put the anchors down.

The tester was borderline on failing me for that one action.
his exact words as he pealed himself off the screen was "your not hauling bloody potatoes".

Clearly the cyclists fault and she was extremely lucky not to have been very seriously hurt or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom