Collision with a Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyB

I'm a long time lurker on the cyclechat site.

I thought I should share my recent crash with you.

*warning it is a bit graphic and there is some blood*
http://vholdr.com/node/83183

Cycling through Datchet on Sunday afternoon I was hit from the front by a car while I was crossing a mini roundabout.
I was doing 20mph at the time and seem to have been thrown <or more like cartwheeled> 5-6 metres, before landing hard on my face.

Practically everybody stopped and a passer by calmly took charge while the emergency services were called.

The police attended and took details while the paramedic took me to Wexham Park Hospital, Slough to be checked over and patched up.

I had taken a large hit to the head and face, the helmet had cracked and left quite an impression and lump on my forehead.

The bike didn't come off too well. The front wheel was smashed.
I will be collecting the remains of it from Windsor Police station later today, so should be able to see the total extent of the damage. I am assuming it will be a write off.

I may pull the video if the police decide they need it for evidence. But they have plenty already. They said they had matched my paint to that of the car, unsuprisingly. :blush: I think it is good for people to see what happened.

The driver was beside himself. I guess he had only looked for approaching cars and was probably looking at the black Audi as he entered the roundabout.

I was pretty lucky to escape with such relatively minor injuries. I didn't look too pretty on Monday, but the facial bruising is healing quickly. I still have quite a decent black eye and what may be a scar to the lip. The usual road rash to the knee and elbow, along with skinned knuckles on my left hand and a couple of sore fingers on my right.

I had just bought the HD Cam and helmet a couple of days earlier and this was the first test ride!

I am a CTC member and have started the insurance claim via their claims advice line. I have been taking lots of photos as the bruises come out.

Anyhow, I survived, relatively intact.
I hope it doesn't take too long to get a new bike.

Take care out there.

Andy

Glad you are not too badly hurt, someone needs to have a chat with that fellow about wearing sandals and socks though.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Oh my god that looked bad. (i don't like blood as well)
I'm pleased to hear your healing ok and best of luck with getting it sorted!!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
F*U*C*K!

Not much can be said about that, apart from to be thankful that the injuries weren't much worse. Hope you heal up quickly and the insurance/police don't mess you around.

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

Catrike UK said:
Glad you are not too badly hurt, someone needs to have a chat with that fellow about wearing sandals and socks though.

He he,

he was very good. He quickly took charge. I definitely owe him a pint.

MacLean

Oh man, just shows how quickly it can go pair shaped....

Did the driver say anything to you, or exchange any words?

How does your confidence feel about getting back on a bike?

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

Bollo said:
F*U*C*K!

Not much can be said about that, apart from to be thankful that the injuries weren't much worse. Hope you heal up quickly and the insurance/police don't mess you around.

I have used the CTC insurance people previously.
I was knocked off six months ago by a car that didn't see me and went into the side/rear of me!

They have very good solicitors who know how to apply pressure to the insurance companies.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Andy Glad you're ok....keep us informed.....

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
That is terrible. It looks like you nearly missed him, but that is probably due to the camera being on the right hand side. Says something for the strength of the camera if it kept filming but your helmet cracked.
Who was the idiot who looks like they try to help you up. They need some basic First Aid lessons. Still glad you aren't too badly hurt and not much blood loss.
Poor driving from the Mondeo who doesn't look like he slowed down and the black Audi who should have given way - but as he must have see you coming would have "known" that anyone on his right should have to give way.
Nice scratch and dents in the side of the Mondeo so obviously not a careful driver !

OP
OP
AndyB

AndyB

MacLean said:
Oh man, just shows how quickly it can go pair shaped....

Did the driver say anything to you, or exchange any words?

How does your confidence feel about getting back on a bike?

I haven't been on a bike since, but the confidence feels ok.
We shall see how I feel when I get the bike replaced.

My previous crash, which was more from behind did result in me feeling a sort of feeling of dread for a while. Especially slowing down for a turn if there was a car behind me. I kept expecting to be scooped up by the bonnet. I guess it's the primitive parts of the brain trying to stop you making the same mistakes.

I didn't speak much to the driver. But he was mortified.
It was just a normal nice old couple on their way back from Sunday lunch.
They made a simple mistake and have to deal with what happened to someone as a result of that.

The police said they would be prosecuting and they have a copy of the complete video.

redjedi

Über Member
:blush:

OW!!

Glad you're not too badly hurt, or put off cycling.

Fingers crossed for a swift recovery, payout and nice shiny new bike.

robz400

Heavy crash! I had a very simalar one a month ago on my motorbike. Its that classic angle where we get hidden in the blind spot caused by the cars pillers.

Hope your healing ok!

The socks and sandles did make me laugh though :blush:

Top Bottom