Colour of a bike - would you ride a feminine colour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
In German i seem to recall objects are masculine feminine and neutral Der Das and Die (not necessarily in that order) I seem to recall the masculine chairs (Der Stuhl) go under the feminine table (die tische)... Or something like that. It was about 25 years ago I learned that and I spent the rest of the lesson picking bits of my brain up as it blew my in multilingually mind. Do colours have gender in other languages too?
In my experience the perception of colour is influenced by culture. If you show a strip of paper which shades evenly from a strong blue at one end to a strong green at the other and ask people to indicate where blue changes to green, French native speakers tend to describe more of the strip as blue compared to English native speakers who tend to describe more of the strip as green. This is just my personal experience, it would be interesting to know if there has been any scientific investigation into this.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
In German i seem to recall objects are masculine feminine and neutral Der Das and Die (not necessarily in that order) I seem to recall the masculine chairs (Der Stuhl) go under the feminine table (die tische)... Or something like that
It was about 25 years ago I learned that and I spent the rest of the lesson picking bits of my brain up as it blew my in multilingually mind.

Do colours have gender in other languages too?
French definitely, le chien, la chat etc..... BUT.... that doesn't mean only women can have cats and men dogs etc

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
French definitely, le chien, la chat etc..... BUT.... that doesn't mean only women can have cats and men dogs etc
Take care T4! It is le chien and le chat, both are masculine and refer to their respective animals in general. A specifically male cat, English tom-cat, is le matou. A specifically female cat is la chatte. However, be very cautious here, chatte also has exactly the same colloquial meaning as the colloquial English use of the word pussy. Be warned!

Last edited:
This is the 21st century. “Feminine” colour?
A Feminine colour is a Feminine colour surely?

All the Century has to do with it is that you now can't SAY Feminine or Girly or Wussy or a plethora of other descriptive words without being fearful of being a Bigot.

And no I wouldn't ride a Feminine coloured bike or wear a pink shirt.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
A Feminine colour is a Feminine colour surely?
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/c...ou-ride-a-feminine-colour.265449/post-6094962
…and you can never go wrong with a little black dress:
View: https://www.slideshare.net/savoir-faire-kolkata/you-can-never-go-wrong-with-a-little-black-dress

Last edited:

John482

No, not really. My bikes are non discript, cheap ones that blend into the back ground. I'm not a highly gendered cave man dripping testosterone but I wouldn't look right sitting on a pink bike or something.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Am I OK with my pink/black/grey shirt, or am I just confused?
There needs to be some more rules about this.

You are only allowed:

Pink if you are feminine
Black if you are an undertaker
Blue for a boy
Red if you have anger problems
Purple if you are royalty
Gold if you pretend to be rich
Green if you are a gardener.

Otherwise you can wear and ride whatever colour you like.

Cirrus

Veteran
If you like the colour then it shouldn't matter, connotations that other people associate with that colour are theirs to own. If one is worried about what others think then some self reflection may be in order.

Basically, I would have a bike in whatever colour I liked.

Top Bottom