Colour of a bike - would you ride a feminine colour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
As a teen-ager I used to have a bike that was neon yellow and pink. So I guess yes.

But what's a feminine colour?

There is a chap around here who rides a shocking pink / hot pink specialized bike. And very cool it looks too. Even if he does vye for the local legend crowns with me by doubling back and riding some segments twice or three times.

byegad

Legendary Member
Got a test ride this weekend on an Allez 2021 model in Clay, but in the shop it looks a bit more lilac than the images suggest. Will see how ride goes but after sitting on it in shop and doing research at this price range its exactly what i want, aside from not being too keen on colour!

On the one hand, bikes are in short supply and want to get out properly as soon as possible so who cares on the colour. But for the sake of waiting a few weeks/months maybe i can get a different bike in a better colour - it is £700 or so I am spending!! Thoughts?
I didn't know that colours breed!

My favourite 2 bikes I ever owned were a pale purple. Was I ever bothered that someone might thinks they were feminine? Don't be silly.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Personally I wouldn’t ride an overly feminine coloured bike, but then I wouldn’t be tempted by some of the more exotic / lurid masculine colours either. I prefer the more sombre colours that allow me to blend to the background.

Wayne Randle rode as CW called it a 'baby blue' Planet X
(I think he's also had their bright pink carbon frames)

Would anyone be derogatory to him?:wacko:

One of the nicest guys you could meet, till you're riding with him!

Five ways not to get dropped on the way to boggle hole | Events | News | Planet X
Who was hard at boggle hole | Events | News | Planet X
Who's hard all who got there and all who got back | Events | News | Planet X
The tale of boggle hole ride day two | Events | News | Planet X

Oh!, & I really fancied one of these 'back in the day' (still do)
I almost px-d my Pace RC100 for an Attitude

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Are colours masculine and feminine? discuss....

or don't.

Anyway you need to be happy with colour of your bike. it is quite important.

really it needs to be celeste

Tom B

Guru
Are colours masculine and feminine? discuss....

In German i seem to recall objects are masculine feminine and neutral Der Das and Die (not necessarily in that order) I seem to recall the masculine chairs (Der Stuhl) go under the feminine table (die tische)... Or something like that
It was about 25 years ago I learned that and I spent the rest of the lesson picking bits of my brain up as it blew my in multilingually mind.

Do colours have gender in other languages too?

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The best-fitting ski boots I've tried were female-specific Salomons, complete with turquoise shiny bits.
Bianchi Celeste is a lovely colour, and very very turquoise IMHO.
I don't see colours as gendered, although a pink bike would have to be candy-floss pink, or have Pink Panther stickers.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I didn't know that colours breed!

My favourite 2 bikes I ever owned were a pale purple. Was I ever bothered that someone might thinks they were feminine? Don't be silly.
I specifically sought out the previous years Dynatech 401Ti, so I could get a purple one rather than orange...

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Mentioned this before on the mighty CC, when the Giro started in Belfastin 2014 a lot of NI clubs got special edition kit (inc mine) A LOT of blokes bought said special edition pink kit..

I even bought socks :whistle:

mustang1

Guru
Before the advent of market segmentation of men's and women's bikes, plenty of bikes came in colours which today's goons in the marketing department would call a feminine colour.

Quite frankly, I really like the bright feminine colours and wish this bull crap about men's Vs women's bikes was over.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Before the advent of market segmentation of men's and women's bikes, plenty of bikes came in colours which today's goons in the marketing department would call a feminine colour.

Quite frankly, I really like the bright feminine colours and wish this bull crap about men's Vs women's bikes was over.
Yup! :okay:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Considering a build based on this frame :whistle:

View attachment 540317
Love it ... My favourite colour is pink ... pink oxford shirts, my aeroplane is sprayed pink ....My favourite frame is .... Pink.
Pink is a martial colour. The stipe on Staff officers trousers is Salmon Pink ... not red ......
It was the influence of the Americans during the first World War that changed the English Powder Blue for Girls, Pink for boys, Edwardian way of things ...
Salmon Pink ... not Barbie Pink ...!!

Top Bottom