Combination pedals: any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I came across some combination pedals on t'net; clipless on one side, and flat on the other and I was wondering if they are any good. I have never cycled clipped/clippless before and I am willing to give them a go on my day-to-day hybrid bike first, as I have recently begun riding a single speed flip-flop to fixed with toe straps, and would like to eventually graduate up to clipless on this bike.

My link

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have been using a set of these for about 18 months Pedals work well weather clipped in or wearing ordinary shoes.

Ideal for a hybrid .

Mr Cheese

I "dipped my toe into the water" with combination pedals on my hybrid. I found they worked OK, but because of the weight of the mechanism, when unclipped, they would always rotate so that the clip side was down. Usually this was OK as I got the hang of flipping them as I clipped back in, but sometimes it just didn't happen, resulting in some interesting moments!

I actually found the whole clipless pedal experience very underwhelming. I gave them four months before ditching them. I couldn't really perceive any benefit, and found that despite several attempts to adjust them, they caused knee pain. I have ditched them now and moved on to DMR V8 pedals, and honestly haven't looked back.

Of course this is just my opinion, you may find they suit you fine.
thumbsup.png

Norm

I have been using a set of these for about 18 months Pedals work well weather clipped in or wearing ordinary shoes.

Ideal for a hybrid .
Yup, I'e got the A530s on my CX bike, the one I use mostly for commuting, and they are very handy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I changed to clipless I started off with these, found I was never using the flats them bought some double sided....but good pedals though if you are planing on using a mix of clipless and/or trainers

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Guru
I currently have a pair of DMR V8 pedals fitted on my Hybrid, and they are superb pedals, but I have recently dipped my toes into ss/ fixed riding; this will not in anyway replace my hybrid, but is just something that I wanted to try for fun and fitness, and I am having a few issues with the straps I am using. It doesn't matter how well I adjust them they are making my toes and arch ache, and I thought that going clipless on the fixed would help this. My idea was to put the combination pedals onto the hybrid for a few weeks until I became use to them before fitting them onto the fixed.

I've got them on the hybrid. (double sided clipless on other bike though)
As above, it was a try out to see how I got on with clipless at first. I wouldn't put anything else on the hybrid now as its the one that gets used for allsorts of trips so I may have different footwear on when using it.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I've got them on the hybrid. (double sided clipless on other bike though)
As above, it was a try out to see how I got on with clipless at first. I wouldn't put anything else on the hybrid now as its the one that gets used for allsorts of trips so I may have different footwear on when using it.

I'm a recent convert to clipless and I have combination pedals. I bought another set for my singlespeed so I must like them I guess.

Martin

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Are they any good? No. Are they rather brilliant if you don't want to wear cycling shoes every time you ride? Yes, indeed they are.

Dress for the destination not the journey.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As Greg says...the combi pedals are good if you intend using your bike for local runs wearing regular shoes.

For commuting where you have to clip & unclip frequently dual-sided ones are better in my opinion - like the M520

Bigbud

I've been using Shimano M324's for a couple of weeks on my road bike with Spesh Tahoe shoes having never used SPD's before and I'm over the moon with them.

Biggest plus for me is knowing my feet are not going to slip of the pedals when clipped in :thumbsup: When coming up to junctions I unclip one side and flip the pedal so I'm on the flat side. Will be getting a set for my mountain bike very soon :biggrin:

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Guru
Well,

I've bitten the bullet and ordered myself a pair of combo pedals, and will try them out on the hybrid first. Hopefully, I'll get used to using them before putting them onto the fixie in the coming springtime.

Thank you for all the advice.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Went for them myself. Just come back from playing (well, loosely) football, cycling in my astro boots. No need to take them with me and change out of my cycling shoes when I got there. In fact, no need to change anything other than to loose the coat, gloves and helmet. Oh, and cycle clips.

When I cycle into work next, back into cycle shoes with no bother.

Top Bottom