Combination pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I recently got a pair of shimano but can't remember what model. They're double sided which is a must, and excellent. Twenty odd quid they cost.

midlife

Guru
I've got some double sided SPD pedals but one half has a removable plastic platform if I want to jump on the bike wearing trainers.

Shaun

vickster

Legendary Member
M324 would be more comfortable with trainers, however, just get proper flats if not going clipless. The mixed ones drive me mad! One or the other for me now, except on the single speed

Diggs

Veteran
The A530 I find are more for when you want to go clipless but need the other side as back up (handy if you're just starting out or in traffic or short distances) the flat platform isn't huge so wouldn't use it all the time (although I use them on two of my bikes).
I have these on the old MTB http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-t780-xt-mtb-spd-trekking-pedals/ which are ok and prob similar to the M324
Combinations are always a compromise, just depends how close you want to get to a flat or a traditional clipless

D

Deleted member 23692

I use XT trekking pedals (PD-T780). They drop almost instantly to the same angle every time so flipping it over to whatever side you want is super easy.

Flip back for flat side, or forward for spd

OP
OP
H0wy

H0wy

Regular
Thanks for replies, I think I will go clip less eventually, but want the option to start with

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I am thinking of replacing my cheap plastic flat pedals with a combination SPD pedal, as I don't want to go clipless just yet.

I have been looking at the Shimano PD-M324

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/

or the Shimano PD-A530.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/

Does anyone have any thoughts on these or recommend any others?

Thanks in advance
I've got both. Rode with the A530s for several years on my hybrid and then got my tourer last year with the M324s. Instantly preferred the latter for both clipless and flat riding. As others have said, the A530s can be slippery - I have a beautiful scar on my shin as a result. I also find them quite stiff for unclipping compared to the M324s and whatever it is I've got on my roadbike.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
M324 are excellent pedals solid, robust & flat side is plenty grippy for a range of shoe types but I took mine off my bike in the end as I found I was wearing *normal* shoes most often & +1 to @vickster, dual sided really can get on your nerves if you favour one type of shoe, especially if you're commuting or urban riding and stops starting a lot, flipping and finding the right side is easy enough but becomes a PITA.

There are also M424's, SPD cleats on both sides surrounded in a rocking resin case. I really didn't like them in flats, I could feel the cleat pressing through but others have said they lije them and don't have the same problem. Their advantage is that they're flat and SPD on both sides so whichever side you start on and whichever shoes, you're away. Still not for me tho.

Top Bottom