Commonwealth Games anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
The EBC as unbiased as ever 😟😟

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Does anyone know why the English commonwealth anthem is Jerusalem.
I get that Gid Save the Queen is a British anthem, but The English football and rugby teams both use God Save the Queen, when playing the home Nations so it doesn’t really make sense.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I get that Gid Save the Queen is a British anthem, but The English football and rugby teams both use God Save the Queen, when playing the home Nations so it doesn’t really make sense.

I've no idea, but it's a much better tune and that's good enough for me.

What I'd like to know is why there's no shooting in these commonwealth games.

13 rider

Guru
Just catching up with the track cycling ,Another horrific crash in the men's scratch race . Matt Walls went over the barrier and into the crowd !! . At least 1 spectator hospitalised and I think 3 rides in Hospital .

gavgav

Guru
A chap I work with was in the Velodrome and witnessed Matt Walls’ horrific crash. In his words, with the speed, impact and the mess it made of the bikes, it’s very lucky no one was even more seriously hurt than they already were, or even worse.

Chislenko

Veteran
No spare bike for the Scottish chap in the Mountain Biking?

Mechanic having to fit a new rear mech and chain whilst the rider just has to hang around, poor lad was on for the bronze before his mishap.

OP
OP
Mo1959

Mo1959

Legendary Member
No spare bike for the Scottish chap in the Mountain Biking?

Mechanic having to fit a new rear mech and chain whilst the rider just has to hang around, poor lad was on for the bronze before his mishap.

Our local lad. I was a bit miffed when it happened. :sad:

T4tomo

Legendary Member

It make enormous sense at the commonwealth games you plonker

The Queen, as head of the Commonwealth, is head of state for every competing nation.

Last edited:

<googles> ... best explanation I've found is on Wiki:
At the Commonwealth Games, Team England has used "Jerusalem" as the victory anthem since 2010. The Commonwealth Games Council for England conducted a poll of members of the public which decided the anthem for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. The three options were "God Save the Queen", "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory". "Jerusalem" was the clear winner with 52% of the vote; "Land of Hope and Glory" received 32% and "God Save the Queen" 12%

Top Bottom