Commuter killed this morning, Victoria Street, London (8th April) - RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Location
South London
I don't see it being mentioned very often, but I think one key area where commercial vehicle safety could be massively improved is pay methods. No owner/driver should ever be allowed to be paid by trip. It's probably slightly more complex than this simplification, but paying by trip encourages impatient speedy driving. Driving should never be subject to this sort of pressure.
 
Or extend the HSE remit. This lorry could have been on the way to a site that boasted "Zero Injuries".
 

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Or extend the HSE remit. This lorry could have been on the way to a site that boasted "Zero Injuries".
I had a murderously close pass y'day from a scaffold lorry. On the company web-site home page they boast of how seriously they take Health & Safety. But only once on site it seems.
 

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Location
SW2
Those LCC figures of:

5% of vehicles (HGV) involved in 50% of cyclist fatalities.
and 75% of those fatalities involved construction lorries.

I don't know what proportion of London HGVs are construction trade, certainly not 75%, but it does show where the problem lies. Sure, cyclists should do everything in their power to treat HGVs of all types with extreme care whenever they can but I wonder whether new cyclists can ever fully comprehend just how dangerous a vehicle can be but still be licensed to drive on roads for which they were definitely not designed and on which they kill disproportionately and with sickening regularity.
yes indeed. Unfortunately it took them six years to recognise the fact. And they are completely and wilfully clueless about the available remedy
 

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Location
Armonmy Way
...the available remedy....
Which is? I'm not sure what it is nor why it's singular.
 

400bhp

Legendary Member
If I'm walking down the pavement while operating a chainsaw, and someone runs out of a shop ahead of me and the chainsaw severs one of their limbs, who is to blame?

That would be a bit weird and you would be arrested.
 
Threads like this depress me.

A talented, successful, contributing, young person has died and we seem to have filled 5 pages arguing amongst ourselves.

I cant imagine how Dr Giles Family are feeling right now but I'm sure they would find little comfort from reading this thread.

*Edit* my apologies to those who have shown their respect, I'm a little grumpy tonight.
 
Top Bottom