Commuter Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
I know nothing about London commuting but #3 daughter is now commuting in south London and needs some decent lights. Christmas is coming and I thought I'd treat her.

Only a mile or so each way, so doesn't need to have big battery capacity but easy to mount and remove from bike, easy to charge (or go battery?), and bright enough to be seen on wet London roads. Two light on the back, one flashing, one steady?

Anyone able to offer advice and suggestions. Thanks.

Sharky

Guru
I know nothing about London commuting but #3 daughter is now commuting in south London and needs some decent lights. Christmas is coming and I thought I'd treat her.

Only a mile or so each way, so doesn't need to have big battery capacity but easy to mount and remove from bike, easy to charge (or go battery?), and bright enough to be seen on wet London roads. Two light on the back, one flashing, one steady?

By coincidence, I've just bought my daughter a pair of Cateye lights.
She also lives South London (Streatham) and has been riding to the station, but she wants to ride all the way in to the city when lockdown is over.

AMPP 800 - probably far too bright for riding the streets of London, and on the low mode will probably be sufficient.
The latter is USB rechargeable
For the rear, it was just a battery LED model for les than £20.

Lots of others to choose from, but I like the Cateye range and was using a Volt 300 myself for commuting on much darker roads.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Check out Planet X. They have a great range of keenly priced lights.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
By coincidence, I've just bought my daughter a pair of Cateye lights.
She also lives South London (Streatham) and has been riding to the station, but she wants to ride all the way in to the city when lockdown is over.

AMPP 800 - probably far too bright for riding the streets of London, and on the low mode will probably be sufficient.
The latter is USB rechargeable
For the rear, it was just a battery LED model for les than £20.

Lots of others to choose from, but I like the Cateye range and was using a Volt 300 myself for commuting on much darker roads.

Haha, before I read this reply I'd already ordered the same front light, plus the matching rear:

https://www.merlincycles.com/cateye...c-usb-rechargeable-bike-light-set-197827.html

She's braving the badlands of Balham, rides to St George's in Tooting each day.

Lovacott

Über Member
I'd go for a bottle dynamo set. No batteries to charge. Simply flip on the dynamo and you're good to go.

I've got an AXA dynamo with Nean front and rear lights.

The whole set up will cost about sixty quid and you will need to fit it but it's worth the effort. You could go for a hub dynamo if you don't mind splashing out around £100 for a new front wheel.

1607662808935.png
1607662917169.png
1607663066089.png

Chris S

Legendary Member

Lovacott

Über Member

The first AXA bottle dynamo I fitted was like that (turning flats into hills) but the second one is barely noticeable (maybe 5% more effort).

Chucks out a brilliant (and fully road legal) light.

Top Bottom