Commuting bag - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yazzoo

Looking for a bag which will fit laptop, lunch, keys, phone etc all in and mount to a rear rack but then upon arrival can easily/quickly remove and be carried inside like a backpack/messenger bag - any recommendations?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Looking for a bag which will fit laptop, lunch, keys, phone etc all in and mount to a rear rack but then upon arrival can easily/quickly remove and be carried inside like a backpack/messenger bag - any recommendations?
I use a Carradice Nelson Longflap with a QR system. Waterproof, fits all my stuff in. Acts like a parachute in a headwind though

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I got fed up with modern bike luggage breaking so when the panniers are too big, I currently use a Highlander heavy-duty haversack http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231359124016 and a pair of 900mm luggage straps http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172273170373 to fix it onto the rack (or to hold it shut while I put the permanent bungees over it, on one bike).

Rear rack needs to be at least 300mm long else the bag will sag off the end and I put some boards half-height into it for rigidity. I already had a suitable waterproof cover. The flap and front can be folded into the bag neatly to avoid it scrunching when not full. Can also be fixed as a (large, nearly-unusable while riding) handlebar bag if you've enough straight bar clear of obstructions.

subaqua

What’s the point
Any of the Altura Briefcases based on my experiences with altura stuff . the metro looks about the best and if i could get away with only using that on bike I would.

mjr

Just realised that "mount to a rear rack" could mean panniers are OK, in which case I heartily recommend the Basil Sports Single as battle-tested and its recent sibling the Basil Sports Design Commuter as probably worth considering.

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

I don't really mind what it is, my point was I didn't want to wear it whilst on the bike (backpack/messenger etc) but wanted to be able to wear it whilst off the bike if that makes sense!

h1udd

After wearing a pannier once as messenger bag and getting a shirt with a massive road grime stain on it ... I have learnt not to wear panniers

Going in that, my choice of bag is the Ortlieb roll bags ... Tough as anything, attach and unclip in a second, easy to carry in your hand , do have a shoulder strap, but be prepared to ruin your clothes from a dirty bag .... The bag isn't that comfortable as a shoulder bag but it's ace as everything else

subaqua

What’s the point
I don't really mind what it is, my point was I didn't want to wear it whilst on the bike (backpack/messenger etc) but wanted to be able to wear it whilst off the bike if that makes sense!
https://www.evanscycles.com/altura-morph-versa-backpack-EV199174

if you prefer a rucksack for off the bike but used as panniers on it . i got 2 years out of mine but that was because i overloaded it and tore it rather than it failing from normal wear and tear. i didn't pay that much !

OP
OP
Yazzoo

Yazzoo

oh thats a good point, I hadn't thought about that! Maybe I just need a pannier(s) that is permanently fixed, just a waterproof bag without compartments etc and then I can get away with another bag inside to take out when I get there - seems so obvious now....:banghead:

Reactions: mjr

mjr

oh thats a good point, I hadn't thought about that! Maybe I just need a pannier(s) that is permanently fixed, just a waterproof bag without compartments etc and then I can get away with another bag inside to take out when I get there - seems so obvious now....:banghead:
Oh yeah. :laugh: I do sometimes drop my haversack or satchel into an empty pannier if I've got one but it wasn't obvious to mention that.

Top Bottom