Commuting bag - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm struggling with pretty much the same problem. My work involves visiting different companies for lengthy periods - could be a whole day. Places to leave my bike vary, so could be a car park with decent bike racks or locked to a lamp post / railing on the pavement. In other words I may not be able to leave anything on it.
I need to carry papers, ipad, sometimes laptop. Occasionally extra clothes, such as work jackets / water proofs etc.

To date I've been using an Edinburgh bike pannier, with a carry handle on top. It doesn't really look the part, but has done the job. It is shot though and needs replacing.

I went to the Edinburgh Bike shop today, to look at some new ones, but found I was impressed with the altura morph. On holiday we cycle quite a bit and may want to lock up the bikes and wander around, so being able to take it off the bike and carry it on my back would be useful in addition to work / commuting use.

I have a nagging doubt though, they have been out for at least two years, appear to be discontinued and never took off, so are they an answer to a problem which doesn't really exist - or are there so many compromises they just don't do either job well?

die_aufopferung

I'll second vickster's recommendation - I myself use the Topeak ones (there are 2, the one she linked and a smaller one) for commuting, some shopping, and have even taken them to a couple job interviews. However they do only go on the Topeak racks due to the attachment system - which I will say is also both by far the most secure attachment system I've ever seen for a rackbag/panniers and is also really fast to attach and remove.

They have both a carry handle on the top of the rackbag part and come with a shoulder strap you can connect and if you don't need to carry a full bag's worth the pannier parts fold up and zip closed into a reasonably small lump on the side of the main bag. They're about as waterproof as any other pannier I've used in the past too - not perfect in torrential rain but will keep stuff dry for anything short of that. Durability wise the're still in perfect working order, all zips working, no holes worn in them despite all-weather commuting/utility use and a minor crash leaving the bike skidding along the road.

All in all, I can't think of much to say negative about them other than looks-wise even with the panniers zipped up, they are clearly not a regular manbag/messenger bag/rucksack. People will ask "What on earth is that?" (or words to that effect) so if you're concerned about carrying some slightly odd-looking luggage, they may not be your best choice.

Looking for a bag which will fit laptop, lunch, keys, phone etc all in and mount to a rear rack but then upon arrival can easily/quickly remove and be carried inside like a backpack/messenger bag - any recommendations?

I use the castelli musette from wiggle. £25 and works perfectly for a laptop and bits and bobs
Unless you want it specifically attached to your bike.

Nebulous

Guru
Well I've bought the Topeak MTX. I'm really impressed with the slide and clip-on system. Halfords have price-matched it, are offering £10 off orders over £50 and then with 10% British Cycling discount I got it for £39.99.

vickster

Legendary Member
The zip has just gone on mine, but that's after maybe 4 years of regular use, so not too bad

Ordered the RX DXP model, smaller but still with panniers, £25 from CRC (halfords couldn't get one). Needed the same system as I have the compatible rack on two bikes

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I've bought the Topeak MTX. I'm really impressed with the slide and clip-on system. Halfords have price-matched it, are offering £10 off orders over £50 and then with 10% British Cycling discount I got it for £39.99.
The RX DXP turned up today but is tiny so I too went for a replacement EXP from halfords. Cost me £40.05 (less quidco, another pound or so)

Nebulous

Guru
The RX DXP turned up today but is tiny so I too went for a replacement EXP from halfords. Cost me £40.05 (less quidco, another pound or so)

The EXP is about as small as I could go. The panniers aren't very large and I've found myself using both. I thought I had missed an opportunity with Quidco when I saw your post, but I have a credit card registered with them and the transaction has just appeared in my quidco page, with a payment of £1.60, or 4%.

vickster

Legendary Member
I use both panniers if I also have to carry laptop and shoes, otherwise fine, as I can get a fair bit of shopping in them. Granted they wouldn't be big enough I assume for a tour, but the OP is looking for a commuting bag and for that, it's just dandy :okay:

Top Bottom