Commuting & Fitness - Hybrid or Cross/Gravel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Thanks so far - at least I have probably ruled steel out and comments around fit etc. duly noted.

I suspect I will end up with a flat bar of some description so I need to look around and choose one that's either upright enough from day 1 or that I can modify to my liking before buying. The Cube still looks a decent option but front suspension is offputting.

tom73

Guru
Your welcome trek fx3 maybe worth a look. Mrs 73 has one and love’s it she like’s a more upright bike. Not too heavy either a decent lot of bike for the money.

Ananda

I plan to start commuting to work very shortly and have figured out a route that's around 11 miles each way and a combination of tarmac and gravel paths. I plan to start on my existing bike (Ridgeback Speed) but given I am eligible for a new one on the C2W Scheme I'll probably take advantage of that and get something that will double as a commuter and also a bike for general riding and fitness.

I have a chronic neck problem whereby I need to be as upright as possible and my automatic thought was to go for another hybrid and I like the look of this:

https://www.damianharriscycles.co.u...be-cross-pro-hybrid-2019-womens-trekking-bike

as it's pretty easy to pop an adjustable stem on it. However, it's likely to be heavier given the suspension so I am not sure it's the best option really.

I'd be happy to look at more upright hybrid bikes if anyone has recommendations.

I have also become interested in some of the cross/gravel bikes on the market and, again, like the look of this one but am nervous about how much of a traditional road riding position I'd have to adopt. It does look like it's pretty relaxed though.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Nuroa...NVyOWqU32LP6wGQIDcnNaen3AXN2_dxoC5RYQAvD_BwE#

Anyone experience of these types of bile for the stated purpose or, alternatively, anyone who suffers from neck problems who can offer insight into what they ride and how they adapt?

Budget is up to the C2W limit we have of £1000.

Thanks!

Suspension forks on hybrids make sense if they are very good quality items. Otherwise you are better off on a fully rigid chasis provided it can take wide rims and big tyres. Have a look on the Cube Hyde variants or similar platforms!

Last edited:
Top Bottom