Commuting & Fitness - Hybrid or Cross/Gravel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I plan to start commuting to work very shortly and have figured out a route that's around 11 miles each way and a combination of tarmac and gravel paths. I plan to start on my existing bike (Ridgeback Speed) but given I am eligible for a new one on the C2W Scheme I'll probably take advantage of that and get something that will double as a commuter and also a bike for general riding and fitness.

I have a chronic neck problem whereby I need to be as upright as possible and my automatic thought was to go for another hybrid and I like the look of this:

https://www.damianharriscycles.co.u...be-cross-pro-hybrid-2019-womens-trekking-bike

as it's pretty easy to pop an adjustable stem on it. However, it's likely to be heavier given the suspension so I am not sure it's the best option really.

I'd be happy to look at more upright hybrid bikes if anyone has recommendations.

I have also become interested in some of the cross/gravel bikes on the market and, again, like the look of this one but am nervous about how much of a traditional road riding position I'd have to adopt. It does look like it's pretty relaxed though.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Nuroa...NVyOWqU32LP6wGQIDcnNaen3AXN2_dxoC5RYQAvD_BwE#

Anyone experience of these types of bile for the stated purpose or, alternatively, anyone who suffers from neck problems who can offer insight into what they ride and how they adapt?

Budget is up to the C2W limit we have of £1000.

Thanks!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Spa steel touring bike and ask them to leave the steerer uncut so you can have plenty of front end height. Ideal for your purposes.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Thanks but aren't steel bikes pretty heavy beasts? Remember I'll be sticking a (loaded) rack, mudguards and me on it!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Thanks but aren't steel bikes pretty heavy beasts? Remember I'll be sticking a (loaded) rack, mudguards and me on it!
In which case +/- 1lb or so on a frame means very little, especially in the context of the comfort you will get from steel and a more upright position. Hence the recommendation.

ETA
Here you go:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p2983/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Tourer

725 Reynolds isn't too dusty, nor are the components. Quality guards and a rack, and a portly 12.8kg ;)

Because "tourer" then deeply uncool, but that doesn't stop it and its ilk from being the answer to many cyclists' requirements.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

I rode a Croix De Fer a few years ago and found that to be very heavy. Would that be classed as a quality or cheap steel frame?

If it's the former I think I'll swerve the steel option.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

I would recommend what I did when I first started commuting to work. I told myself I would wait 3 months. If in 3 months I was still commuting I would treat myself to a better bike. Not only that but I would have a better idea of what I wanted.

That may well be very sensible advice. My excuse is I've always been someone who plans ahead

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I rode a Croix De Fer a few years ago and found that to be very heavy. Would that be classed as a quality or cheap steel frame?

You're right, steel isn't for you then, if you want something livelier for your daily commute.

How about a Camino? Drops and flat bar options and they will customise, and aluminium-framed not steel, which is important to you.

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-alloy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

That is a fairly decent steel frame. They ain’t light ! My Cube CX to me isn’t light, compared to my light weight road bike. It’s all relative and if loading up with bags what does it matter ? Steel is comfy for forgiving, aluminium is harsh. Carbon can be all of these.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Don't get obsessed over frame material or weight! It is way down the list of considerations on a loaded commuter.

It is all about ride, comfort and reliability. As has already been said, a couples of lbs either way on a loaded commuter bike (mudguards, rack, panniers, etc) makes chuff all difference. It just needs to be a bike you want to get on and ride everyday.
I spent the last 8 yrs commuting on a rigid alu framed hybrid and it has broken my heart to replace it this year after a crack appeared. I also have an Alu Mtb and a carbon gravel bike. Haven't a clue what any of them weigh or how the weight compares to the rest of the market? All I know is they all put a huge grin on my face when I ride them!
New commuter bike is steel framed and dropbars - KONA. Only 200 miles on the clock so far but loving it up to now. Certainly feels at least as light and lively as the broken bike it replaces. Still haven't a clue what this one weighs either.
In your situation with the neck problem i would certainly be looking at flat bar bikes and the overriding priority is fit and comfort rather than weight.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
If I was to commute on any of my bikes it would be my Surly DT. Real steel and comfy as a sofa. Weight would make little difference on an 11 mile ride.

I also have a Cube MTB, but I managed to get a 105 spec bike for a lot less than than the one you have an interest in which has a basic spec. You need to shop around. I like @YukonBoy ’s 3 month rule upthread.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Steel is heavy and doesn't have the lively feel sought, OP has explained.

I must admit I thought it absolutely the logical choice for something ridden 22 miles daily across mixed surfaces and carrying a load, with mudguards fitted, for someone who had a chronic neck problem. We need to look at other materials though, chums.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
IMG_0011.JPG
+ 1 for the Camino . Completed the Camino on mine this summer and coped with everything the trail could throw at it .

Top Bottom