Commuting in 0 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes, zero degrees is common/normal. I use my regular bike with regular tyres and just adjust my riding to suit the potential lack of grip. Freezing isn't actually that cold and the serious clothing only comes out once it drops a few degrees below freezing.
I can still remember a particularly bad cold snap several years ago when it hovered around -10 for a couple of weeks! This was after a period of snow which partially thawed then froze solid for the duration. I did layer up then, but still continued to ride/commute on my normal all-year tyres. I will however claim (and this will be backed up by forum members that know me!) to have cat like balance and bike handling skills which helps enormously when encountering icy surfaces.

My commute is 10 miles each way on mostly urban roads.

classic33

Leg End Member
As said by others, allow extra time and dress to suit.

Did it on a regular basis, albeit on road, many a time.

Oxford Dave

I used to commute between Kuusankoski and Kouvola in Finland, about 5 miles each way, all through the year, including the winter when we had heavy snow and temperatures down to -35 degrees. I used a Peugeot hybrid I had bought in Acton, still on the original tyres. My journey was regarded as perfectly normal over there.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Cycling down a narrow lane one icy evening 2 years ago and seeing an oncoming car, i put the brakes on a bit too sharp.... Back tyre lost grip and tried to overtake front tyre; managed to stay upright without needing to change bibtights, but i now look much more closely for ice crystals glinting in the torchlight.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have put Schwalbe Marathon Winter spiked tyres on this evening as I can see I will have icy starts for the next few days. Located my thin liner gloves & I have put my Sealskinz winter gloves on the radiator so they start off warm. Thickest BBB overshoes also at the ready. Top that off with a fleece balaclava and I'll be good to go however cold it gets.

12boy

Guru
When you say 0 you mean Celsius? I ride all the time in -4 C or so, but when the wind gets into the 20 mph range it takes the bliss right out of it. I dress for it though and have studded tires for icy roads. I find the combination of ice and snow, studded tires and all the crap I wear slows me down a lot and 17 miles with all that can be a lot of work. When I ride in 0 Fahrenheit my rides are much shorter and there ain't much skin showing. My glasses cooling off to the air temps are really uncomfortable below -10 C as well.

rivers

How far can I go?
I've opted for the main roads as opposed to the B2B railway path. I'll wait for reports to decide on route tomorrow. I know the Bristol end will be fine, but it's that Bath end I'm worried about

davidphilips

Veteran
Not worth the risk, frost/ice and cycling are dangerous.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Frost is fine , its the black ice you need to worry about. As others have said the main roads normally get treated but not always. I used to be pretty die hard when it came to commuting by bike. I`m not anymore as no need to prove anything to anyone. Believe me its not much fun sliding along the road !

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
I may give it a miss and just train it.

it's not worth falling off and while the daytime is fine, it's no fun at 5pm after a day's work

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My favourite route has some springs which put water onto the road, plus some run-off from a motorway, both of which always freeze on an uphill section putting a sheet of ice right across the road. Tackled with confidence this morning even if my usual average dropped from 16 to 14 mph.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Temperature not a problem, just add more layers.

Ice is the issue - I have a MTB with ice spiker tyres for if it's proper icy. Problem I find is judging when it's needed - I've found sometimes I set off then wish I had it, and vice-versa.

Today, was only very slight frost, on the normal bike, no problem.

Depends on the road. Frost on a dry road I will cycle. Freezing after rain I won't. Also quite cautious after ice appears to have thawed because even if it looks clear, often the road edges and the parts of the road that are in permanent shade take longer to thaw than the exposed central parts.
Icicles in the eyelashes when cycling in freezing fog are interesting.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom