Commuting in a short dress - Recommended!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
AFS you are over-stepping the mark. Do what you said a page back - keep motormouth shut. You'll only dig a deeper hole, time to stop digging. :whistle:

Becs, you know I don't agree with you on this issue.

I'd rather be treated a certain way and get things done as a merit of what I choose to do rather than flashing a bit of tit and leg to get my way. It's manipulative and does everyone male and female a disservice.

Sure I'd never use "feminine charms" to get ahead in something that matters, like a career etc (in fact I think feminine charms are a hindrance in a lot of cases) but for something superficial like this I don't see a problem with it.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Seems to me that as a bloke we just can't win.

Some women don't see the problem with using thier charms to influence men.
Some women are offended if men notice or comment on thier charms.

If all women were in the latter category I would fear for the continuation of the species. Fortunately there are enough of the former.

All I am interested is respect and equality.
I'm not talking about being offended about comments made about my appearance what becomes tiresome is when people become rude, lewd or abusive about it.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sure I'd never use "feminine charms" to get ahead in something that matters, like a career etc (in fact I think feminine charms are a hindrance in a lot of cases) but for something superficial like this I don't see a problem with it.

You see this is it, it's hard to draw those demarcations when you use 'charms' (lol the word made me smile, I don't know why) in one context, there's sometimes expectations to use it in another context. Actually, as you mention being female can be a hinderance..why is this? that's what dissapoints me.

What I'm saying in regards to cycling in short skirts- it's not always the case that you get a positive experience. Like I mentioned re my neighbour she got shedloads of grief - wouldn't it be great if people, male and female could wear what they want without negative hassle?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Two days a week I work office hours in normal clothes (as opposed to uniform - I'm a nurse).

Commuting I usually wear leggings, t-shirt, trainers etc

Today, one of my office days, I decided I couldn't be bothered to get canged after work- chucked my cycling clothes my bag and peddalled off.

I was wearing a just above knee length dress, which became considerably sorter when I got on the bike.

Have to say - found the drivers loads more considerate than usual today - can't think whyy? One even pulled out of the cycle lane for me!

Were you offended by this alteration in treatment?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Many posts on here ask for photographic evidence , a new bike, a close pass, etc. I read it in that style so no it was not pervy IMHO or as pervy as the chap you filmed his lycra covered crotch!

oh come on.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
No one's asking him to post pictures of himself in lycra or revealing clothes.
And I am not humourless, it's commenting on the difference between the way men and women are treated and was probably and attempt at diffusing the thread.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Blimey, I leave the office for a quick lunchtime snack and what seemed to me to be a light hearted chat has turned into some mad cycle perv thread in no time at all. I would have hoped that all the comments were made and taken in jest.

Everyone, stand back from the keyboard there's nothing to see here! :biggrin:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Blimey, I leave the office for a quick lunchtime snack and what seemed to me to be a light hearted chat has turned into some mad cycle perv thread in no time at all. I would have hoped that all the comments were made and taken in jest.

Everyone, stand back from the keyboard there's nothing to see here! :biggrin:

Many of us did take them that way :smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
How would you guys feel if it was your mum/sister on this board? Would you all make the same comments?
Let's make cycling and the forum a bit more inclusive please?

Why is it appropriate for women to put up with jokes of a sexual nature?

It's about the act of objectifying someone not about being offended about attraction. I'm not into the idea of repressed victorian era sexuality but it's about respect and not seeing a woman as something that is just a sexual object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom