Commuting in cold weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
As the weather has turned colder in the London area over the last week I do not know is it just me but I find my commute tougher going in cold weather than warm weather

Your views on the subject

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, normal. And all the idiots are out on the roads. One almost splatted me this morning. And a couple more just now driving into direct sunlight when I was far side of the road in a contraflow bike lane. And I got abuse for waving them across :angry:

London area forecast actually looks pretty good for the next week on the plus side

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, normal. And all the idiots are out on the roads.
I think the idiots were out on the roads anyway, but some of the idiots on bikes have started driving again now it's getting slightly cooler and that's a very bad thing.

As the weather has turned colder in the London area over the last week I do not know is it just me but I find my commute tougher going in cold weather than warm weather

I agree. The cold north wind here is particularly difficult. I can basically give up most hope of getting places faster than my average now until spring ;)

wisdom

Guru
Forgot to add.
It's tougher due to weather conditions.We usually get high winds and a lot of rain on the coast.I just ride to the conditions and enjoy the ride 95% of the time.

I feel the cold more thanmost but cold does not stop me riding. Just wear appropriate clothing. It is never too cold to ski is it?

Randombiker9

Have you tried wearing gloves and thicker socks? because if not why don't you try that?. when ever I go out cycling I always wear my gloves and that keeps my hands warm. Also if you wear thicker socks it will keep your feet warm
like @MichaelW2 Said just wear appropriate chlohthe for the weather when whenever I go out I always check BBC weather and dress appropriately according to the weather forecast.

I actually sweat just a tad less when it's cold
So always welcome
Plus you get all comments at work about commuting in the cold, people must think it's like you have just crossed Siberia!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I prefer the colder weather for commuting, as I don't arrive at work so sweaty.
Balancing your clothing can make or break a ride. IME a buff makes a massive difference to how your face/head/neck feels in cool air. A small selection of gloves to choose from helps pick the right gloves for the cold you feel. And some overshoes takes the chill off your toes.

Top Bottom