Commuting in cold weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's still above freezing, how can you say it's cold?

The colder mornings are the best for commuting in. Extra incentive to put a bit more effort in possibly.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Lovely foggy ride in yesterday and due to an open evening at the school I work at I got a night ride in aswell, just perfect.
I do prefer this time of year for riding

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
As the weather has turned colder in the London area over the last week I do not know is it just me but I find my commute tougher going in cold weather than warm weather

Your views on the subject

Colder!! geez its not exactly been warm anywhere else bar the South East ! :laugh: you need MTFU ! On a serious note maybe its the pollution that makes you struggle that bit more with more dense colder air, do you have asthma ? Love this time of the year as long as its dry!! Its been wetter than an otters pocket up here all year.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Colder is tougher but:
1. Mornings with low lying mist hanging above the grass
2. Less sweat
3. A chance to wear that long-sleeved top bargain that you found in Spring
4. Less people in the park to ride around.
5. The colder you are, the more badass you are.

Sixmile

Veteran
When I check our local weather, I often have an envious glance at London and below and see that it's generally sitting 5 degrees or so higher than us and with no cloud or rain. It always seems that way anyway.

There are good parts to the dark and cold commutes if you use shared paths at all. All the dogs and walkers are on the turbo till the Spring so less obstacles on the paths.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I check our local weather, I often have an envious glance at London and below and see that it's generally sitting 5 degrees or so higher than us and with no cloud or rain. It always seems that way anyway.

There are good parts to the dark and cold commutes if you use shared paths at all. All the dogs and walkers are on the turbo till the Spring so less obstacles on the paths.

London rarely gets very cold or icy. It also doesn't rain as much as people think.
Yes I do keep a record.
Rainy Commutes (remarkably consistent)
2013 x44
2014 x45
2015 x48
2016 x45
2017 TD x20

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ha -11c for me back in 2010

Tom B

Guru
London rarely gets very cold or icy. It also doesn't rain as much as people think.
Yes I do keep a record.
Rainy Commutes (remarkably consistent)
2013 x44
2014 x45
2015 x48
2016 x45
2017 TD x20

Oooh I do love a bit of geeky data collection.

I set off ro work at 5am every morning. First 10 minutes I'm cold. For the next 50 minutes I'm too hot but too lazy to take gear off.

Ditto.

The only issue with cold damp mornings for me is that my kit always stinks. Even though we have a drying room now. One of my thermal tops in particular stinks about 2mins after I put it on.

Tin Pot

Guru
I found I was extremely lucky last winter - Tuesdays never seemed to have the bad weather.

Cold weather is harder - you'll feel more tired. But like others, it can be less uncomfortable as you are kept cool.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Oooh I do love a bit of geeky data collection.

Ditto.

The only issue with cold damp mornings for me is that my kit always stinks. Even though we have a drying room now. One of my thermal tops in particular stinks about 2mins after I put it on.

I have a set of riding kit at work . When I get to work I take the kit I have ridden in, into the shower and wash it and hang it up. I ride home in the spare kit and do the same at home. At the end of the week the kit gets a proper wash.

Top Bottom