Commuting in cold weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
So who is still riding in shorts and t-shirts ? :eek: Packed warm stuff if required but still holding out much to the bemusement of my work colleagues :laugh::laugh::laugh:

When on lates and commuting at 1pm I've was in shorts and tee, but look a thermal top for the return effort at midnight.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
So who is still riding in shorts and t-shirts ? :eek: Packed warm stuff if required but still holding out much to the bemusement of my work colleagues :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'll end up with a warm top as it gets colder, but I prefer to stay in shorts through the winter as I'm on the tropical south coast. The exception is when it's raining enough for the plastic trousers. Cold sweaty plastic on bare legs is pretty nasty.

si_c

Guru
Wearing a short sleeve jersey today still with shorts with long finger gloves, but that's because they were the first ones that came to hand, washed the fingerless ones and now can't find them. Probably in the Wife's sock drawer :unsure:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Anyone recommend some decent wet weather over trousers?

Endura Gridlock II. Although they are not cheap

I'm on my second pair in seven years (my wife decided to put my first pair in the dryer - silly moo)

I have the jacket too - which is also really good

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Still in a theatre scrub top here although I always wear tough trousers because of my habit of falling off/being knocked off my bike.

mgarl10024

Über Member
I've largely switched back to trousers from shorts. I prefer shorts, but I remember reading somewhere that riding in the cold is very bad for knees (blood supply to knee caps are low compared to amount of exposure to cold air received on a bike). I think the saying was "under 20 degrees? Cover the knees". No idea whether it is a myth, but I roughly stick to it and change to trousers earlier than most.

My neighbour (late 50s) had a heart attack recently and is recovering well. He's been cycling to aid his recovery, but was told that while cycling was very good, he should avoid cold weather. Apparently, colder weather makes the heart work harder. I would have thought it was the opposite - surely the heart works harder in warmer weather to dissipate the heat quicker? I've no idea! Maybe it is about extremes.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Shorts all year round - with the addition of leg warmers when it's cold and waterproof over-trousers when it's wet or extreme

BurningLegs

Veteran
I just work on the assumption (or hope, more like) that any damage I’m doing to my knees by riding my bike is negligible compared to the damage I would be doing sitting on my lardy arse in traffic twice a day. :okay:

J1888

Über Member
I love it, personally. Love a bit of chill in the air, and that nice feeling of a decent softshell to keep the wind at bay.

I don't love mornings like yesterday, when it was cold going out the front door, then it warmed up but was just seriously windy, thereby rendering my winter jacket and thermal bibs completely inappropriate. Was roasting by the time I got to work.

Top Bottom