Commuting in cold weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Still in shorts and short sleeve shirt for today's commute in SE London. Nice and mild.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Shorts, short sleeves and short-fingered gloves on Friday - didn't feel the slightest bit under-dressed.
Long trousers, long sleeves and long-fingered gloves today. Could have done with a buff!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah, was a little nippy this morning.
Still in shorts and short sleeve shirt but with added knee warmers, long sleeve base layer top and glove liners.
Lovely morning for it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah, was a little nippy this morning.
Still in shorts and short sleeve shirt but with added knee warmers, long sleeve base layer top and glove liners.
Lovely morning for it.
So not really just shorts and SS shirt then ;)

Blimey that's far too warm. I would melt at that temperature on the commute if my knees were covered.
For me, anything below 10° and the knee warmers go on.

I use a different approach. I use the same trousers whether its 25 or -5. Literally the same legwear. However during the colder commutes, I will layer up with regards to the body and head. Woolly hat, neck warmer, twice my bikes weight in jumpers etc. Overshoes and/or thicker socks are a must in temps approaching freezing point, the toes will suffer horribly. 1 normal cycling pair underneath 1 bigger pair of standard gloves works for me in winter. However the bigger gloves do make operating the gear levers a bit more clumsy. The glove thing is still a work in progress.

Slick

Guru
Full winter gear for me just now in the mornings now the frost has returned. Shorts and t shirt for going home as it's still quite warm I the afternoons. Shouldn't be too long before full winter on both legs, but it all adds to the challenge.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Shorts all year round - with the addition of leg warmers when it's cold and waterproof over-trousers when it's wet or extreme
Ditto here, knee warmers for colder mornings, main thing is keeping the extremities warm and the core. Best purchase by a country miles is a Altura windproof jersey/jacket. All I need is under armour under it or I will be sweating like a fat lad at the bakers :tongue:

Top Bottom