Commuting In The Snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just on my way home from work. Got my marathon winters on the MTB.

Wish me look, just 8 miles to go.

I don't worry about myself it's just the other idiots that have no idea how to drive in snow.

Is tail gating in this weather a sensible option? It must be as the majority of motorists seem to be doing it.

We got the 'order' at 15:30 so I headed back to the flat before dark and I'm glad I did as it was an interesting commute :wacko: Its true what they say a few hours of light snow and the South of England come to a standstill :rolleyes: I had a few dumb birds pull out on me, so I had to be pretty alert as I didn't fancy braking hard on 23mm tyres. Whilst its satisfying when the driver behind thinks they are daft pull outs too, I'd rather it didn't happen :rolleyes:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just on my way home from work. Got my marathon winters on the MTB.

Wish me look, just 8 miles to go.

I don't worry about myself it's just the other idiots that have no idea how to drive in snow.

Is tail gating in this weather a sensible option? It must be as the majority of motorists seem to be doing it.

I've just done just shy of 6 miles, stuck to the paths as no cars seemed to be moving. Marathon winters were brilliant (and have been all week) though I did spin the wheels a couple of times in deeper snow. Done 125 miles commuting this week which I am chuffed with.

Today was the best day for months, 15 miles home, guided bus way was covered in over an inch of snow, so for 12 miles it was snow, snow ,snow !, studded tyres on my MTB, and a tail wind. Absolutely brilliant. Reminded me of being a kid it was so much fun.

The tyres, Continental 240 Spiked Claws, are brilliant, just brilliant.

I was disappointed when I reached the end. Praying for more snow ready for Monday.

Its been a tough week, but glad I got through it on the bike , and looking forward to the lie in tomorrow!!

donnydave

Über Member
GBW fun for me too, I refused the MTB though this morning but found it just about do-able on 25mm gatorskins athough reaching the limit of what I was comfortable with (but then I have had a go at speedway so I'm used to being sideways on a bike!), just keep in a straight line and stay on the fresh snow. knobbly road crossing bits were a bit dodgy though

Kins

Über Member
Did a few miles today from the volunteer centre where I work to a few old folks on my MTB. Didn't fancy the roads much on the estates ,where not many cars to clear it, so went round all the little pathways.

It was good fun! Wrapped up warm and a face scarf meant didn't get cold. Fell off once which was all my fault, but kinda fun to. Big drift over a small but steep rise where two paths meet. Unclipped one foot and pedalled to get up the rise, bike dug in and I fell the direction I hadn't unclipped! Just call me snow head.

-5 out there now and meant to drop further, don't fancy the ice tomorrow!

Black Country Ste

My first post!
I cycled the 6.5M into Birmingham this morning, it took about the same time as usual on the Careera Subway 2.
The journey wasn't too bad, using Swalbe city jet tyres. I packed a spare coat and walking boots just in case I can't ride back.
I can't wait for the weather to improve to get on my Triban 3, I've had it a few weeks, only been out tree times on it so far.

Another Triban in Brum! :biggrin:

Kins

Über Member
Another Triban in Brum! :biggrin:

I think there's something funny going on with these Triban 3s, I think they are reproducing! :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21095132

Says it all about the Beeb. They do NOT like cycling and will portray cyling in a bad light to suit their agenda. I mean at what POINT is that cyclist being disrupted by the snow?

Why can't they show pictures of crashed cars from the past few days, because there's been PLENTY of them?
The local radio had one present moaning about the stupidity of cyclists in the snow - but he didn't think about how cyclist can have spiked tyres or get off and walk if the going gets bad whereas a driver abandoning his car becomes a problem for other road users. There is a crashed vehicle a mile or two away from my house. It's on a wide A road, and I guess the car was travelling too fast as it is down an embankment on the wrong side of the road having mounted the kerb and crashed into the side of a bus stop.

Kins

Über Member
The local radio had one present moaning about the stupidity of cyclists in the snow - but he didn't think about how cyclist can have spiked tyres or get off and walk if the going gets bad whereas a driver abandoning his car becomes a problem for other road users. There is a crashed vehicle a mile or two away from my house. It's on a wide A road, and I guess the car was travelling too fast as it is down an embankment on the wrong side of the road having mounted the kerb and crashed into the side of a bus stop.

Hope you explained in an email he was being a daft tit?

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
It's not stupid,I will try it but if it gets dicey I will walk the bike.I've still got to get to work.It's ok for that tit protected by his metal box.

Not sure what the best bike to use is, a geared bike or the fixie?

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
am well disapointed the snow has stopped and gone back to sleet. all the train users are debating leaving now to avoid the inevitable cancelled services due to a flake of snow upsetting the trains/drivers

I don't really understand why people want it to snow,it just causes grief and accidents and there are enough idiots out there who dont know how to drive anyway.What is the Mile End Road like mate?

Im going to do it though I will probably leave an hour earlier.The route has to be thought out after Aldgate,probably go the shortest way.

Top Bottom