Commuting In The Snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donnydave

Über Member
Non stop day of snow north of Cambridge, the roads are looking pretty snowy at the moment, a good inch or so and there has been no traffic today to clear it. I love a bit of weather-chaos so I can't wait till tomorrow. It was starting to get a bit dodgy on the way home on Friday on my road bike in 2-3cm of snow on the guided busway but the wife's trusty MTB (have to use hers as mine was nicked a while ago) is ready and raring to go. Can't wait!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hope you explained in an email he was being a daft tit?
I wasn't sure who the idiot was I was listening to, as the radio was on at an unusual time of day. But I came close to doing so.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't really understand why people want it to snow,it just causes grief and accidents and there are enough idiots out there who dont know how to drive anyway.
Although there are still a few idiots driving, I find that it is so much nicer out on the road, far more pedestrians, cars going a lot slower and everyone being a little less confident and more considerate of other road users.

Although there are still a few idiots driving, I find that it is so much nicer out on the road, far more pedestrians, cars going a lot slower and everyone being a little less confident and more considerate of other road users.
Unfortunately there's still a few idiots out there who fail to adapt and dont drive slower, they seem to think (if they are even capable of thinking) that a 23mm shod bike has four-wheel drive and anti lock brakes :sad:

Crankarm

Guru
Unfortunately there's still a few idiots out there who fail to adapt and dont drive slower, they seem to think (if they are even capable of thinking) that a 23mm shod bike has four-wheel drive and anti lock brakes :sad:

I have to say you're a bit a plonker if you are riding a road bike on 23mm slick tyres in this weather. In fact the roads as they are this evening you would be a real liability an accident waiting to happen or to cause an accident.

I have to say you're a bit a plonker if you are riding a road bike on 23mm slick tyres in this weather. In fact the roads as they are this evening you would be a real liability an accident waiting to happen or to cause an accident.
Thanks, thats probably why I wasn't out ;)
I'd love to have something better equipped for these few days but the rented flat ain't big enough.

Crankarm

Guru
Non stop day of snow north of Cambridge, the roads are looking pretty snowy at the moment, a good inch or so and there has been no traffic today to clear it. I love a bit of weather-chaos so I can't wait till tomorrow. It was starting to get a bit dodgy on the way home on Friday on my road bike in 2-3cm of snow on the guided busway but the wife's trusty MTB (have to use hers as mine was nicked a while ago) is ready and raring to go. Can't wait!!

There was only about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of snow on the GBW this evening as I came along it. Didn't trouble me at all as my bike has studded tyres. What did however was the moderate to strong N/NNE wind and snow straight into my face for the whole 15 mile length of it.

Crankarm

Guru
I'd love to have something better equipped for these few days but the rented flat ain't big enough.

Fair enough.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Must say, the snow at work is seriously rubbish - the grass is green, very little lying about. 6 miles (as the crow flies) to the East we have 2 inches and everywhere is white. Still its not enough snow ! ^_^

Downward

Guru
I have had my M+ for a few years now and I dunno if it's me but I'm slipping a lot more this snowfall that the previous few.

Dunno what to replace them with though on my Hybrid ?? Don't wnat to go to extremes with Studs etc for the sake of a few commutes a year but could do with something a bit grippier.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I reckon i will have lost 2 weeks of riding this winter for the same reason as you and although its a bit of a biatch its not the end of the world, the best option for me i reckon is to keep my eye out for a turbo cheap .
After much moaning to swmbo about how i am getting fat etc i have to man up and take it as an enforced rest period and hit the miles when the roads are clear.
Must say, the snow at work is seriously rubbish - the grass is green, very little lying about. 6 miles (as the crow flies) to the East we have 2 inches and everywhere is white. Still its not enough snow ! ^_^
2 inches !
feck thats a dusting i had that Sunday night on the drive in 6 hours Sunday after i had already cleared it !

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I cycled to work in the snow last week, but the roads were ok.

I can't ride this week because I injured my thumb sledging.

I reckon i will have lost 2 weeks of riding this winter for the same reason as you and although its a bit of a biatch its not the end of the world, the best option for me i reckon is to keep my eye out for a turbo cheap .
After much moaning to swmbo about how i am getting fat etc i have to man up and take it as an enforced rest period and hit the miles when the roads are clear.

2 inches !
feck thats a dusting i had that Sunday night on the drive in 6 hours Sunday after i had already cleared it !
Up loaded the Garmin stats for the rollers I'd spent 10hours on them :eek:
The thaws on here I hope it lasts and is on your way too.

Top Bottom