Commuting In The Snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't really understand why people want it to snow,it just causes grief and accidents and htere are enough idiots out there who dont know how to drive anyway.What is the Mile End Road like mate?
One of my colleagues, sat all day on Friday chanting 'more snow, more snow'; at about 15.30 I found out why, we got sent home (more pub time for him :rolleyes:).

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
One of my colleagues, sat all day on Friday chanting 'more snow, more snow'; at about 15.30 I found out why, we got sent home (more pub time for him :rolleyes:).

Yeah grief getting to/from work but may not do a lot when im there.

subaqua

What’s the point
I don't really understand why people want it to snow,it just causes grief and accidents and there are enough idiots out there who dont know how to drive anyway.What is the Mile End Road like mate?

Im going to do it though I will probably leave an hour earlier.The route has to be thought out after Aldgate,probably go the shortest way.
clear , and less cars than normal . on Friday i went home via limehouse cut like i usually do . went for a walk earlier and it was clear to cycle along. will be riding in tomorrow if kids schools are not shut

10 miles today down deserted B Roads. Was a bit wary of taking the country roads, but (preggers) wife is staying at her parents while I'm on nights, and I wanted to see her. Ended up being easier than town roads! Straight down the crispy unbroken stuff in the middle at a fair pace, felt really comfortable.

Only saw two cars, both of which I moved off to the side and stopped for. No probs at all.

al78

Guru
Anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with the wheels squirming about due to icy ruts caused by traffic over snow then re-freeze? I have Marathon Winters but still end up going tentatively along in the single digit mph trying my best not to fall off. I've heard too many cases on here of people breaking limbs even from relatively low speed spills on ice, and it has made me nervous.

My workplace is four miles from the nearest main road so I am stuck with the country lanes.

BSRU

A Human Being
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21095132

Says it all about the Beeb. They do NOT like cycling and will portray cyling in a bad light to suit their agenda. I mean at what POINT is that cyclist being disrupted by the snow?

Why can't they show pictures of crashed cars from the past few days, because there's been PLENTY of them?
On Friday morning there had been 40 collisions in a couple of hours, from what I observed too many drivers are clueless.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with the wheels squirming about due to icy ruts caused by traffic over snow then re-freeze? I have Marathon Winters but still end up going tentatively along in the single digit mph trying my best not to fall off. I've heard too many cases on here of people breaking limbs even from relatively low speed spills on ice, and it has made me nervous.

My workplace is four miles from the nearest main road so I am stuck with the country lanes.

You can't really do much about the squirming, it's how a bike feels when riding in those conditions. Not too much input on the bars and let the wheel squirm- it's taking the best route on its own. Climbing out of a rut will be tricky, sometimes I've stopped and lifted the wheel out.

al78

Guru
You can't really do much about the squirming, it's how a bike feels when riding in those conditions. Not too much input on the bars and let the wheel squirm- it's taking the best route on its own. Climbing out of a rut will be tricky, sometimes I've stopped and lifted the wheel out.

So I should relax my grip on the bars? My instinct is to do the opposite and grip the bars tighter, is that bad? Is it easier to maintain control by pedaling briskly rather than trying to creep forward at a slow speed?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
So I should relax my grip on the bars? My instinct is to do the opposite and grip the bars tighter, is that bad? Is it easier to maintain control by pedaling briskly rather than trying to creep forward at a slow speed?

Relaxing should help. Uphill I tend to use a bigger (higher) than usual gear to lessen the chance of spinning the wheel- although on compressed snow I generally get plenty of grip from a soft cyclocross mud tyre, on the flat I doubt it makes much difference how you pedal but I favour the low cadence- keep it steady type approach.

Top Bottom