Compression Tights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianMac

Hi, I always want to go out for another ride quicker than my legs allow. I am considering buying compression tights for after ride recovery. What I don't understand is how they are different (apart from the price) from a pair of tight cycling tights? Can anybody help out?

Thanks

VamP

Banned
Bit of a placebo I'm afraid. Save your money.

VamP

Banned
Start here.

I took part in a study into the effects of nitrates on blood lactate at St Mary's College, and the researcher doing the study was telling me a story about a colleague who was doing a study on compression garments. He found no measurable impact, and was somewhat stumped as to how he should present his findings given the study was funded by a compression garment manufacturer.

There is 'some' evidence that if you 'believe' in the effect, then some small improvements may materialise. But that's placebo.

Ice baths are another widely used spurious recovery method. I actually experimented with this, but was massively pleased when I found no difference. They are bloody awful.

Well structured training, good quality nutrition, and quality rest is what you need, not miracle cures.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think that most people with a normal riding and training load should recover adequately with some basic good nutrition. I can't help but think that very few, if any people on here, including the OP ride often and far enough, or smash themselves to bits in hard training sessions so often that they need worry about recovery aids. I would say, if the OP can't ride as often as they want because they are fatigued, they need to improve their fitness by pushing through. You don't need to be completely fresh every time you get on the bike.

Spend your money on Milk and Meat! Nothing better post ride than a big glass of milk, a minted lamb steak with a big pile of veg, sprouts and broccoli galore! Really hungry, have a few chips!

Start here.

I took part in a study into the effects of nitrates on blood lactate at St Mary's College, and the researcher doing the study was telling me a story about a colleague who was doing a study on compression garments. He found no measurable impact, and was somewhat stumped as to how he should present his findings given the study was funded by a compression garment manufacturer.

There is 'some' evidence that if you 'believe' in the effect, then some small improvements may materialise. But that's placebo.

Ice baths are another widely used spurious recovery method. I actually experimented with this, but was massively pleased when I found no difference. They are bloody awful.

Well structured training, good quality nutrition, and quality rest is what you need, not miracle cures.
Don't you just love it when the perceived wisdom gets blown out of the water!

Top Bottom