computer recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

want one with backlight, and wired as opposed to wireless.
they're the only criteria, but can't seem to find one that ticks both those boxes.
don't care about cadence, but main speed thing must be wired.

does such a thing exist?

before you ask 'why not wireless', i've had a wireless one before and it intermittently failed to transmit, especially in the cold, and the fork mount is unnecessarily bulkier.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Try the Sigma Sport BC 1606L, wired and backlit, if you are not using the cadence sensor it doesn't display it.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Hairy Jock said:
Try the Sigma Sport BC 1606L, wired and backlit, if you are not using the cadence sensor it doesn't display it.

It costs £21 from Ribble inc P&P & the cadence meter is £6 or 7 extra.

Or, you could get it from Geargurl on ebay for about £15.60 including the cadence meter, if you don't want to use cadence you just set it to "no" when initially programming it and don't connect it up. I got mine after eight days and that was over the thanksgiving holiday. I'm more than happy with it.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Elmer Fudd said:
It costs £21 from Ribble inc P&P & the cadence meter is £7 extra.

Or, you could get it from Geargurl on ebay for about £15.60 including the cadence meter, if you don't want to use cadence you just set it to "no" when initially programming it and don't connect it up. I got mine after eight days and that was over the thanksgiving holiday. I'm more than happy with it.

ah, cheers...might get one of those actually.
that seems to be in american dollars, presumably there's no additional charges?
how does the backlight work - does it stay on for a few seconds after you press a button or do you have to hold it pressed? or is it a toggle switch once on/again for off?

Will1985

Über Member
You hold 2 buttons together to activate it and it will turn on for a few seconds. The next time you want to look at it, just press any button once and it will light up for 5 seconds or so, showing the reading you were on (eg: distance). Press a button again and it will cycle through to the next reading while still lit.

Elmer Fudd

bonj said:
ah, cheers...might get one of those actually.
that seems to be in american dollars, presumably there's no additional charges?
how does the backlight work - does it stay on for a few seconds after you press a button or do you have to hold it pressed? or is it a toggle switch once on/again for off?

Bonj, if you look at the site again under the dollar price it gives an approx sterling price, the only extra is the few pence paypal take for doing the transaction.

When I bought mine the exchange rate meant it was something like £15.30 but my paypal was debited with £15.52. Oh, and the wired model is post free !

Elmer Fudd

I was quite impressed today, I hit 34.81mph on a hybrid :tongue:.

When I got home and put me glasses on I found out it was 34.81kmh :tongue:.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Hi Bonj, noticed its a month since you ordered it - any opinion?

Thinking of changing mine and fancied the cadence meter.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

yes, it's really good. easy to use, and it does everything I want it to do. I haven't connected the cadence meter 'cos I "don't do" cadence. VERY good for the price. Not many are that cheap tbh
It's quite well made actually aswell, it's quite natty how the main comp and the sensor both attach with rubber bands rather than cable ties (more substantial though than normal laggy bands 'cos they're tubular rather than flat if you know what I mean).

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Ta Bonj, I don't 'do cadence' at present. I guess mainly 'cos I can't measure it? Just looking at another way of possibly having a different way of measuring improvement. Currently I couldn't tell you what cadence I currently feel comfortable at...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have the same one on route to me from the USA, although I'm intending on using the cadence. Hopefully it will arrive soon. Does it allow you to put in a starting no of miles... I wanted to see how many miles I do this year so I'm keeping track so far in hope I can add it to the computer.

Elmer Fudd

summerdays said:
I have the same one on route to me from the USA, although I'm intending on using the cadence. Hopefully it will arrive soon. Does it allow you to put in a starting no of miles... I wanted to see how many miles I do this year so I'm keeping track so far in hope I can add it to the computer.

Yea it does, you get readings for bike 1 and bike 2 if applicable and a total for the two. Using a different button you get total time and distance + Odometer. I'm going to leave the odometer running to see how many miles I actually do and treat the total time and distance readings as the 'annual' readings.

***EDIT*** You can add mileage when setting up from another computer (if that's what you mean gambatte).
***EDIT#2*** or even summerdays :biggrin:

Top Bottom