Concerning noise from my Bromptons wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Okay. I think I agree with you - would explain a) why it happens when free wheeling, b) why it only happens when weight is applied to the axel and c) why it resonates through the spokes. Thing is, the bike is only 10 months old - has ridden less than 1000 miles. Surely the hub shouldn't need servicing already?
Unfortunately they can dry out in less from new. BBL are infamous for saving on the grease. They can dry out in one ride if the conditions are right. The problem is that too much grease gums up the thin sheet metal 'top hat' pawl cover and it snaps.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

Unfortunately they can dry out in less from new. BBL are infamous for saving on the grease. They can dry out in one ride if the conditions are right. The problem is that too much grease gums up the thin sheet metal 'top hat' pawl cover and it snaps.

Okay. Think I will take it to the bike shop I bought it from - it is under warranty still. Thanks for your help.

12boy

Guru
Let us know what they discover, please. I have a lot of trouble ignoring sounds made by the bike, they just drive me crazy, although all my squeaks and creaks came from either my leather saddle or the suspension block. It seems the seat tube carries noise which makes it very hard to determine where the sound is coming from. Good luck!

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

So I took my Brompton to the bike shop and the mechanic said that it doesn't need a hub service - and not to worry about the sound! They said as the hub isn't having issue changing gears or riding rough, just to leave it. Not particularly impressed with the service from the independent place I bought it from (and they are a Brompton Premier Store!). So I am looking at regreasing the bearings myself. BUT I am seeing conflicting information online about what to use. I know that the hub itself would require an oil, but is it okay to use lithium grease on the bearings?

Let us know what they discover, please. I have a lot of trouble ignoring sounds made by the bike, they just drive me crazy, although all my squeaks and creaks came from either my leather saddle or the suspension block. It seems the seat tube carries noise which makes it very hard to determine where the sound is coming from. Good luck!

I definitely agree with Rohloff_Brompton_Rider that the issue is coming from the hub. The only way to prove it is to service it!

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mine makes all kinds of noises, sometimes more, sometimes less .... different noises in the wet ... but I try to ignore them. S6L.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
So I took my Brompton to the bike shop and the mechanic said that it doesn't need a hub service - and not to worry about the sound! They said as the hub isn't having issue changing gears or riding bought, just to leave it. Not particularly impressed with the service from the independent place I bought it from (and they are a Brompton Premier Store!). So I am looking at regreasing the bearings myself. BUT I am seeing conflicting information online about what to use. I know that the hub itself would require an oil, but is it okay to use lithium grease on the bearings?

I definitely agree with Rohloff_Brompton_Rider that the issue is coming from the hub. The only way to prove it is to service it!
Only grease the bearings! I can't stress this enough and make sure you don't overload with grease so that the excess makes it's way into the pawls top hat cover. Lithium is fine.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

Only grease the bearings! I can't stress this enough and make sure you don't overload with grease so that the excess makes it's way into the pawls top hat cover. Lithium is fine.

Okay, thanks of you advice. Is it safe to degrease and clean the cone/bearing cage before re greasing? I have found this video on YouTube which seems to show the greasing quite well.

I have also found this concerning blog post by the Brompton BumbleB with the same sounding issue: "Well yesterday I had to leave BBB at my local bike shop as his rear hub was grinding and making alot of noise etc. The hub normally does this every time I clean but goes away after a short time. This has been going on for over a yr maybe longer after a clean.. I thought if anything it just needed taking apart and re greasing. How wrong I was. First of all it seems that I've got water & MUD inside the hub. But not from a recent ride, from what he says its been like that for over a yr atleast. One set of bearings & cradle have rusted pretty badly and had to be replaced as well as the cone on the drive side." :eek::unsure:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Okay, thanks of you advice. Is it safe to degrease and clean the cone/bearing cage before re greasing? I have found this video on YouTube which seems to show the greasing quite well.

I have also found this concerning blog post by the Brompton BumbleB with the same sounding issue: "Well yesterday I had to leave BBB at my local bike shop as his rear hub was grinding and making alot of noise etc. The hub normally does this every time I clean but goes away after a short time. This has been going on for over a yr maybe longer after a clean.. I thought if anything it just needed taking apart and re greasing. How wrong I was. First of all it seems that I've got water & MUD inside the hub. But not from a recent ride, from what he says its been like that for over a yr atleast. One set of bearings & cradle have rusted pretty badly and had to be replaced as well as the cone on the drive side." :eek::unsure:
It is what it is, and like Schrödinger's cat you'll not know till you open it up.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

It is what it is, and like Schrödinger's cat you'll not know till you open it up.

So I checked the drive side bearing and they all seem to be undamaged. I re greased them - but unfortunately the issue is just the same. :sad:

Also, since greasing the bearings the power of the hub seems to be overpowering the chain tensioner, causing the chain to slouch.

When the bike was new it did this, but it went away with time. I assume I have tightened either the cone or the lock nut too tight? Or is it something else? Any advice would be appreciated!

12boy

Guru
The lock nuts, both the ones holding the axle in place and the one for the tensioner do not affect the wheel's turning around. The cones definitely do.I had a 3speed on a 700 c wheel that would not work properly.My LBS mechanics rebuilt it several times to no avail. It was finally fixed when he realized there are 2 types of grease and heavy grease in the wrong place was causing my problems.however I since read an article indicating these hubs work best when lubed with oil instead of grease. I put a cc or so of 5-20 synthetic oil I use for my cars on both the 700c wheel and my Brompton 3 speed and they work just great. The oil does ooze out very slowly so when they start making a little noise I add some more. You flip the bike on its side, remove the spindle form the axle and put the oil in the axle. No need to take the wheel off. As far as the cones go, the wheel should spin freely without any give if you push the wheel from side to side. If you can check the cones with the wheel in the dropouts and without the tensioner and chain in place it should be quick and easy. Leave the brake disconnected so as to pull the wheel in and out for adjustment until you are sure it spins freely but without any sideways looseness.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
So I checked the drive side bearing and they all seem to be undamaged. I re greased them - but unfortunately the issue is just the same. :sad:

Also, since greasing the bearings the power of the hub seems to be overpowering the chain tensioner, causing the chain to slouch.

When the bike was new it did this, but it went away with time. I assume I have tightened either the cone or the lock nut too tight? Or is it something else? Any advice would be appreciated!

Was that in 3rd? A well known issue with B's is the friction in bottom gear. It can cause alarming chain droop on descents. Switching into 1/2/4/5 usually helps. Don't worry too much though as it improves as the hub wears in.
Is the noise still there?

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

The lock nuts, both the ones holding the axle in place and the one for the tensioner do not affect the wheel's turning around. The cones definitely do. As far as the cones go, the wheel should spin freely without any give if you push the wheel from side to side. If you can check the cones with the wheel in the dropouts and without the tensioner and chain in place it should be quick and easy. Leave the brake disconnected so as to pull the wheel in and out for adjustment until you are sure it spins freely but without any sideways looseness.

Should the cones only be finger tight then? My worry was if the cones weren't tight then this could be a point where water and dirt could get in.

Was that in 3rd? A well known issue with B's is the friction in bottom gear. It can cause alarming chain droop on descents. Switching into 1/2/4/5 usually helps. Don't worry too much though as it improves as the hub wears in.
Is the noise still there?

It happens in all gears. The noise is still there. I was able to clean the bearing ring, but I didn't feel comfortable trying to get to the bearings inside the driver to clean them - so I just added some more grease. I am wondering whether a) some grit is still in there rubbing or b) something has caused pitting to the bearings or surface and it is grinding? The positive is I couldn't see any obvious damage.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Should the cones only be finger tight then? My worry was if the cones weren't tight then this could be a point where water and dirt could get in.

It happens in all gears. The noise is still there. I was able to clean the bearing ring, but I didn't feel comfortable trying to get to the bearings inside the driver to clean them - so I just added some more grease. I am wondering whether a) some grit is still in there rubbing or b) something has caused pitting to the bearings or surface and it is grinding? The positive is I couldn't see any obvious damage.
Ah, so you've not serviced it then? There's inner and outer on the driver. You can't say it didn't work until you've done it.

Top Bottom