Concerning noise from my Bromptons wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

Re the cones; loosely finger tight on the drive side then back off one but flat. There should be a few MMs play at the wheel. No play = bad.

Followed your (and 12boy's) guidance - it has fixed the chain issue. Thanks! Although the wheel does have side-side play. Is this correct?

Also I have had a go at degreasing and re greasing the bearings again. Will see if it has improved on tomorrows commute.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Followed your (and 12boy's) guidance - it has fixed the chain issue. Thanks! Although the wheel does have side-side play. Is this correct?

Also I have had a go at degreasing and re greasing the bearings again. Will see if it has improved on tomorrows commute.

It's difficult for me say how much play I used to have. It just kinda rocked side to side 'what felt right'. I learned the hard way as a lad that 'cones need space'. Just ensure you've tightened the lock nuts properly. Hopefully you'll have found the noise issue without having to do the full strip down.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

Personally I'd just just take up a bit of the slack, it's seems a bit loose in the video. But better that way than tight.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

Personally I'd just just take up a bit of the slack, it's seems a bit loose in the video. But better that way than tight.

Sadly, the noise is still there. Also, since greasing the bearings I now have new "glass-tinking" sound when freewheeling and in the lowest hub gear. Wondering if it is the actuator plate rattling on the driver assembly? Maybe the cone needs tightening to hold them closer together? Also after cleaning the driver assembly I didn't add any oil to the lower pawls - is that right? Thought adding anything on them would gum them up and cause issues.

Thanks again for all you help and advice.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Sadly, the noise is still there. Also, since greasing the bearings I now have new "glass-tinking" sound when freewheeling and in the lowest hub gear. Wondering if it is the actuator plate rattling on the driver assembly? Maybe the cone needs tightening to hold them closer together? Also after cleaning the driver assembly I didn't add any oil to the lower pawls - is that right? Thought adding anything on them would gum them up and cause issues.

Thanks again for all you help and advice.

Do you mean the rhythmic ticking noise when peddling? If you do, that's what it's supposed to do. Re the oil, too much oil only causes a dirty bike. It's just grease that's an issue.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

Do you mean the rhythmic ticking noise when peddling? If you do, that's what it's supposed to do. Re the oil, too much oil only causes a dirty bike. It's just grease that's an issue.

No not the pawls ticking. You can hear it most at 26/27secs - its literal metal-on-metal rattling. I am pretty sure its the actuator as its one of the only parts I have touched.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Sorry I may have missed this earlier, is a 3 speed BSR or 6 speed. The 3 speeds do develop a death rattle, which is just part n parcel of the hub.

Just checked 6 speed.

Possibly slip some oil in through the monkey chain hole.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

Sorry I may have missed this earlier, is a 3 speed BSR or 6 speed. The 3 speeds do develop a death rattle, which is just part n parcel of the hub.

6spd BWR. To be honest I am surprised the hubs make so many noises - I thought the hub was nice and safe being self-contained and wouldn't cause me any bother!

I can't believe there is so little official documentation for the 6 spd - I read here that you can't even get spares without sending the old part back to Brompton first!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
6spd BWR. To be honest I am surprised the hubs make so many noises - I thought the hub was nice and safe being self-contained and wouldn't cause me any bother!

I can't believe there is so little official documentation for the 6 spd - I read here that you can't even get spares without sending the old part back to Brompton first!
Tbf it is only noisy and not causing issues. Iirc spares are available at SJS cycles as its a pretty generic SA hub.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
True - because it's my first Brompton/bike and it's less than a year old, maybe my expectations of it sounding "new" for longer are a bit näive! Thanks for you help again.
No problems, in all honesty I'd have stripped down. It's takes less than an hour once you've done it a few times. I never had fancy tools, I just used a hammer and chisel to unlock/lock the main body ring.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

No problems, in all honesty I'd have stripped down. It's takes less than an hour once you've done it a few times. I never had fancy tools, I just used a hammer and chisel to unlock/lock the main body ring.

Yes I have so much practice through trial and error that I can confidently get to the hub now! And I feel more confident about taking on the hub service myself. I am only apprehensive whilst I am still in my warranty - but going forward I am much more game to do all the repairs myself.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Yes I have so much practice through trial and error that I can confidently get to the hub now! And I feel more confident about taking on the hub service myself. I am only apprehensive whilst I am still in my warranty - but going forward I am much more game to do all the repairs myself.
That's how I learned. It seemed daunting as first, but became a regular no issue on a Saturday morning.

Top Bottom