Concerning noise from my Bromptons wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
This may be too late, but I found there's a sweet spot with the cones. Too loose and it freewheels nicely, but wobbles a lot. Too tight and you get no side-to-side movement, but the wheel doesn't freewheel.

Whether it's 'correct' or not I found that a mm or so of movement at the tyre gave the best balance for me.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

This may be too late, but I found there's a sweet spot with the cones. Too loose and it freewheels nicely, but wobbles a lot. Too tight and you get no side-to-side movement, but the wheel doesn't freewheel.

Whether it's 'correct' or not I found that a mm or so of movement at the tyre gave the best balance for me.

Yeah I think I am about there - there is a small amount of movement but the rattling from the actuator has gone, and the crank can freely be rotated backwards for the fold.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but here's an update...

Finally had enough and took Beryl to the bike shop. The mechanic agreed with what @Rohloff_Brompton_Rider said about the drive-side bearings being dry. He stripped the hub, visually inspected all the parts, cleaned and re-greased it. I took it out for a cycle and got caught in the rain (seems that the issue happens after the bike gets wet) and sure enough, the problem was back the next day.

Took it back to the bike shop, where the mechanic said he had spoken to Brompton about the issue. He said that with any hub issue, other than cleaning and visually inspecting the parts, it is difficult to identify what is causing the noise. He said as a long shot he could try changing the driver, but if the issue remained then the only other option would be to send the rear wheel or the whole bike to Brompton! I wasn't keen on the latter option, as I would be bikeless and without a way of getting to work. So I asked him to try a new driver first.

About a week later and: mixed results. Initially the noise went, until I rode in the rain. The noise still seems to be there, but a lot quieter.

I don't know where to go from here. The issue is intermittent, so I fear the bike going to Brompton could be fruitless and just leave me inconvienced with regards to no transport. I wondered if anyone else had any other ideas as to what it could be, or experience with repairs directly with Brompton?

Thanks in advance.

James

12boy

Guru
I had an SA 3 speed in the LBS here for months. These hubs are very rare here and they took it apart and rebuilt it several times. Eventually it worked ok and the LBS guy said it hadn't worked earlier because the hubs take a light grease inside and a heavier one outside. I'd read that putting some oil in the hub through the hollow axle on the right side would work even better although over time it would seep out and need to be replaced. I found both of these things to be true. I put 1.5 ccs of 5/25 synthetic motor oil in and it was quiet immediately and shifted perfectly even when close to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Why not give it a try? I used motor oil as above but lightweight oils of other types should work as well. Turn the bike onto its left side and put the oil in. If it starts to get noisy again add .5 ccs. This is a very easy and cheap fix and I hope it works for you..

Fields Electric

Bit late I know. I had the same problem after rain. I took both the cones out cleaned the old grease and replaced it with lithium grease. I noted that there was some pitting on the drive side cone. Only on one side. I am relatively familiar with the old much larger S.A. Hubs. This one has a pressed metal ring to close the pawls on the drive side. Which you have to sure is aligned with the drive splines correctly. Mine worked and then stopped 4 miles from home. On the second re-assemble the noise stopped. Although there was no evidence that it was under lubricated the first time.

Top Bottom