Continental GP 4000 tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone have any experience with these tyres?
I only had them 6 months and they already show loads of small cracks, they look old. On the other hand I have Bontrager race allweather hardcase tyres on my old bike which are about 2 years old and they look new. Apparently cracks on the outside rubber arent serious but is it in any way a sign of quality?

Edit: I quoted the old bikes wheels and not the tyres. Corrected.

mattobrien

Guru
4000 or 4000S?

I used 4000S last season without any major issues. One tyre got a cut in the sidewall, which I duly replaced, but no problems other than that. They do have a few nicks in them from sharp objects failing to puncture my tyres, but no cracking as you are describing.

yello

What sort of mileage have you done on them?

My conti tyres looked cracked too, after a winter of - achem - little use. But they've maybe 6000 or 7000km on them in total.

OP
OP
U

User16625

I would guess less than a 1000 miles but dont really know. They seem to be the standard 4000. I seen some reviews which reckon they are awsome but there maybe a huge difference between the s and the standard.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They are a soft compound racing tyre, they will cut up quicker than more robust tyres. As long as you are not getting loads of punctures and they are still providing plenty of grip then they are fine.

e-rider

crappy member
Does anyone have any experience with these tyres?
I only had them 6 months and they already show loads of small cracks, they look old. On the other hand I have Bontrager race allweather hardcase tyres on my old bike which are about 2 years old and they look new. Apparently cracks on the outside rubber arent serious but is it in any way a sign of quality?

Edit: I quoted the old bikes wheels and not the tyres. Corrected.
leaving the tyres not 'fully' inflated leads to superficial cracked sidewalls - it's no big deal but keeping them pumped to 115 psi should help avoid it

OP
OP
U

User16625

Cheers fellas, only recently got a joeblow dynamite detonator type pump so 100+psi is dead easy. I usually do just over 90 PSI coz the tyres feel rock solid like that, plus I weigh less than 60kg. Never had a single puncture and I dont exactly take it easy when cycling, so far so good.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I picked up a pair of these second hand , but little used for £5! So far they are standing up well to the challenging conditions down here. Roll very well.

Garz

Squat Member
They are a soft compound racing tyre, they will cut up quicker than more robust tyres. As long as you are not getting loads of punctures and they are still providing plenty of grip then they are fine.
+1

I have them on my other bike, they are a good weather tyre and will last longer if you refrain from use in the colder months with gritted roads. The condition of the roads come to think of it will batter these tyres, I use gatorskins on my all round machine.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I use 'grand prix' tyres all year 'round, but when the weather is good I'll swap to some lighter wheels with a pair of GP4000S fitted, what a difference! But I soon go back to my all year 'round wheels and tyres, weather doesn't stay good forever!

Top Bottom