Converging speed and reaction time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Even on deserted country roads one meets tractors and quite a few at the time of year.
Last week I was descending a narrow lane lined with high hedges.
I don't know my actual speed, but I would estimate it was about 30 mph.
A huge tractor with wide wheels came up the other way taking up most of the width of the road and given he was going 15 mph we had a converging speed of 45mph, or 22 yards per second.
Saw it from 100 yards away, so had about five seconds to react and avoid.
I managed it, but it was close.

D

Deleted member 26715

Even on deserted country roads one meets tractors and quite a few at the time of year.
Last week I was descending a narrow lane lined with high hedges.
I don't know my actual speed, but I would estimate it was about 30 mph.
A huge tractor with wide wheels came up the other way taking up most of the width of the road and given he was going 15 mph we had a converging speed of 45mph, or 22 yards per second.
Saw it from 100 yards away, so had about five seconds to react and avoid.
I managed it, but it was close.
Moral of the story, don't go so fast if you can't see within stopping distance :whistle:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I would have thought it was that converging speeds makes the gap a lot smaller than you think.

That is true. If I’m driving/riding on a narrow or single track road then I adjust my speed so that I can stop within half the distance I can see to be clear. I always assume there’s another me coming in the opposite direction at the same speed.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
I think this is an especially valuable lesson for when doing the life saver over your right shoulder.
That truck which five seconds ago was 100 yards away, may well now be up your arse.

"Must be able to stop on your own side of the road in the distance you can see to be clear"
The corollary to which, as mentioned above, is that on a single track road you need to double that distance since there is no 'your side' to stop on, just 'the road'.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Travel at a speed at which you can see that you can stop safely. 30mph round blind bends on a narrow country road on a bike, sounds suicidal.
You are rather stating the obvious and who said anything about blind bends: I didn't?
The point I was trying to make was that gaps close far faster than you realise and the stopping safely speed rather depends on your accurate estimation of the approaching speed of the approaching vehicle. The reaction time would have been the same if the tractor was going at 40mph and me at 5mph.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was descending a narrow lane lined with high hedges [at] about 30 mph.
A huge tractor with wide wheels came up the other way taking up most of the width of the road . .
had about five seconds to react and avoid.
Well done for reacting, and lucky that the lane was not actually narrow (a huge wide-wheeled tractor would completely fill a "narrow lane") otherwise there'd have been no place to go
I always assume there’s another me coming in the opposite direction at the same speed.
Two 'mes' riding in opposite directions is rarely a problem provided each 'me' keeps to their side of the lane (and there's not a gravel issue). ETA: But one can't be sure which side of the road a ped will be on so care on a left hand slight bend).
This is a 'narrow road' (the type that's shown as a narrow yellow line on OS 1:50,000 maps) limitation. One cannot be sure that, on meeting a car you can pass one another (with one or both stopped or slowed right down). So assuming a car is coming the other way is both prudent and workable. Oh, and generally avoid those roads except for bimbling along.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Travel at a speed that will allow you to react appropriately if the unforeseen occurs. You get these nobs on all forms of transport that barrel down residential streets at 30 without regard so side entrances, junctions, pedestrians stepping out without looking. they think just because they're not speeding that they're safe, or in the clear if something goes a bit bobby.

When something unforeseen does happen you may suddenly have relative velocity to deal with, as did the OP, and that makes things very squirrely. Old pilots and bold pilots.

Top Bottom