Converting a 90's MTB into a retro drop bar bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Thanks for the tips...

Yesterday I remembered why I'm doing this slightly loony project:

We stripped most of the bike down on the weekend, but the cranks and BB needed some tools I hadn't got, so we arranged that Elder Son would ask his boss to lend us a couple. He was a bit unsure about this for fear of making a mistake (Thanks schools system) but agreed to give it a go.

Yesterday evening he rang the bell and reported that he did have the tools, so I went downstairs to lend moral support. He'd already started, and looked up to say "Hi dad, I though you might like to see how this works" waving the mother of all BB spanners about. He took hold of the bike, instructed me to hold it "Like this" Swung the spanner, undid all the bolt while explaining how he did it, and finished job in five minutes.

Then he bounced up the stairs and announced to the world in general: "I can fix bikes..."

You can't buy that...

[Edited: Tenses mixed up.]

It is a lovely feeling that.

Thanks for the tips...

Yesterday I remembered why I'm doing this slightly loony project:

We stripped most of the bike down on the weekend, but the cranks and BB needed some tools I hadn't got, so we arranged that Elder Son would ask his boss to lend us a couple. He was a bit unsure about this for fear of making a mistake (Thanks schools system) but agreed to give it a go.

Yesterday evening he rang the bell and reported that he did have the tools, so I went downstairs to lend moral support. He'd already started, and looked up to say "Hi dad, I though you might like to see how this works" waving the mother of all BB spanners about. He took hold of the bike, instructed me to hold it "Like this" Swung the spanner, undid all the bolt while explaining how he did it, and finished job in five minutes.

Then he bounced up the stairs and announced to the world in general: "I can fix bikes..."

You can't buy that...

[Edited: Tenses mixed up.]

priceless...:okay:

cambiker71

The Elder Son is nothing if not persistent in his quest. We now have a 90's vintage MTB.

Here's Mr. Ugly, aka the purple peril. currently a rolling museum of 1990's MTB technology with the singularly inappropriate name of 'Didgeridoo':

View attachment 434163

View attachment 434164

We're hoping this will eventually become a rather more attractive retro-styled drop bar tourer, albeit with such modern intrusions as v-brakes. Okay, it probably wouldn't be allowed on the l'Eroica, but it would be a nice reliable bike we'd enjoy riding while being pretty much unnickable.

It'll also give us both a lot of experience with more involved type repairs and maintenance and with Drop handlebar bikes, and more importantly, a project we can do together, possibly the last chance before Elder Son leaves home.

The plan is that this will become a shared commuter/touring bike and maybe, just maybe, make it to Japan when we next visit relatives, so we can go on a localish tour.

Back soon, with lots of questions...

That looks a lot like how mine started!

I don't have the downtube shifters on mine, originally used stem shifters, but have now changed it to 1 x 7 with a brake/shifter instead (no pics as yet!)
panther.jpg

chriscross1966

Über Member
You'll struggle getting drop bar brake levers for V-brakes at a reasonable price...
Campagnolo Corsa Record levers intended for use with Delta brakes have a long cable pull

chriscross1966

Über Member
I'll bet they're not cheap!
Must admit, I'd not come across the Tektro V drop levers - when I was looking at this, it was Dia-Compe or nothing.
They're not as sought after as the Powergrade adjustable reach levers, recent Powergrades going for 60-100 quid on ebay, with the non adjustables for half that. NOS of either is a bit daft though.

Top Bottom